Question DLNA not working as it did

ackoman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hello

I've got a SSD drive connected to my router, a Nighthawk 4XS, which works as a media server. Music and movies that I've got stored on the disk are accessible by the TV and until recently by my PC, which is running Windows 10.

A few days ago I noticed that the media server, whilst still being listed on the PC, is not populating Windows Media Player with any of the files and is giving an error message "the remote media library did not allow the connection".

It has always worked before.

I tried formatting the drive and reloading it with the files, and this met with partial success - windows media player started to add a few files to the library, but stopped after adding only a small fraction of them.

I then tried formatting again, and then adding a single album of music - this worked. I then added a small handful of movies - this also worked.

I then added another 20 or so albums, from a single artist, and it then failed - WMP would not list them, and also would refuse to play any of the files that it had already previously listed.

After quite a lot of trial and error, it seems as though it is certain files which are causing the problem. It doesn't seem to matter how many files are put onto the drive, it seems to be the presence of certain files which is causing the problem.

Throughout all this, I've been monitoring the files.db file in the readydlna folder on the harddrive. It seems to correctly grow and shrink as files are added or taken away from the harddrive. Also, my TV does not seem to be having any problem at all in reading from the media server or play any of the files.

I think there was a Windows 10 update the other day, and whilst I am not 100% that this problem has only arisen since then, it is certainly a possibility.

Is it possible that for some reason Windows is now "complaining" about some of the files on the HDD, e.g. if some of the metadata is wrong or missing, and this is getting in the way of it reading from the server?

Unfortunately, in total there are 10,000 files and I cannot think of a quick way of working out which files are the problematic ones.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ackoman

ackoman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hi,

Try to delete KB 4549949 (April 14, 2020). It seems DLNA works fine again for me.

Hi,

Thanks for your message. I looked, but I don't seem to have that update. Maybe I am on a different build of Windows to you?

As it happens, I've tried it with a different router (an Archer C9, running DDWRT) and it works fine with that, so I am thinking that it must be my usual router that is to blame (a Nighthawk R7800). Perhaps the last firmware upgrade has prevented DLNA from working correctly?

jra505