Question dlss and ray tracing and understanding reviews question bout dlss and raytracing 3090 specificly

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well im looking at monitors tryin to maybe decide a future upgrade path as i read a 4070 may be as fast as a 3090 anyways onto my question

iv scoured through alot of reviews and most seem to not be very clear when it comes to settings used it just says ultra 2k 4k ect so my quesion is that
how does a 3090 perform in a modern game will dlss 2 or fsr2 with ray tracing and ultra quality? be nice to have a few benchmarks as one game doesnt really say a whole lot but i figure future games that come out will almost all use dlss or fsr 2.0 so basicly im looking for reviews of modern games using dlss and ray tracing benchmarks and am not find many as it seems to be a really mixed bag when you search

also another question if i have a 2k monitor can dlss upscale to 4k quality or does it top out at whatever the resolution of the monitor is?

well im looking at monitors tryin to maybe decide a future upgrade path as i read a 4070 may be as fast as a 3090 anyways onto my question

iv scoured through alot of reviews and most seem to not be very clear when it comes to settings used it just says ultra 2k 4k ect so my quesion is that
how does a 3090 perform in a modern game will dlss 2 or fsr2 with ray tracing and ultra quality? be nice to have a few benchmarks as one game doesnt really say a whole lot but i figure future games that come out will almost all use dlss or fsr 2.0 so basicly im looking for reviews of modern games using dlss and ray tracing benchmarks and am not find many as it seems to be a really mixed bag when you search

also another question if i have a 2k monitor can dlss upscale to 4k quality or does it top out at whatever the resolution of the monitor is?
Most games with ray tracing currently require DLSS or FSR to have playable fps at high resolutions. A 3090 should have no issue playing at 60-80fps 1440p RT Ultra DLSS quality and may even do 60fps without DLSS in some games like Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition and Control. Some RT games can hit 60fps with DLSS Qualty at 4k resolution when uing a 3080 TI or 3090. A lot of it depends on what graphics settings you're using.

Driver and game updates over the last 2 years mean that a lot of the benchmarks for RT from 2 years ago are not as useful for gauging performance. Also, 12+GB vram is not really as important when you are using DLSS or FSR since they reduce vram usage by rending at a lower resolution by the design of DLSS/FSR. Most games still don't even fully use 8GB vram unless running ray tracing and ultra textures or HD texture packs. You would likely be using DLSS at that point anyway.

As for upscaling; You would be using DLDSR with an RTX card from the nvidia control panel, to upscale to 4k from 1440p.

DLSS and FSR render at a lower resolution internally, which how much lower depending on if you preferred quality or performance. From what I can gather:
  • Quality: 1.5x
  • Balanced: 1.7x
  • Performance: 2.0x
  • Ultra performance: 3.0x
So basically take the output resolution then divide each dimension by that amount. That gets you the internal rendering resolution. So if you want to estimate the performance you'll be getting, pick a target output resolution, what setting you're planning on using, and find the closest thing that matches it. Though this only really matters if you're doing 4K, because even at 1440p, the "Quality" setting is rendering lower than 1080p and most reviewers stop at there.