Question DLSS + DSR doesn't like alt tabbing in Control ?

Fastfishy2

Reputable
Apr 20, 2020
I came across an interesting case of artifacting last night with an RTX 4070.

For context, if you use DSR super resolution to smoothe your image in Control Ultimate Edition, alt tabbing from full-screen causes the game to reset back to native desktop resolution when you tab back in. At least, it does for me. Output resolution is the only parameter that changes, not DLSS base render resolution.

This isn't much of a problem normally, but if you also use DLSS, make sure you don't set the render resolution too high, because if DLSS' render resolution is greater than your monitor's native resolution, alt tabbing in and out of the game causes grid artifacts to happen. E.g. My monitor is 1080p, I set game output res to 2160p, which has DLSS rendering at 1440p and upscaling. Alt tab, the game output resolution reverts to 1080p, but DLSS is still trying to upscale from 1440p and it throws a wobbly.

Easily fixed by going back into settings and either lowering DLSS resolution below your native output resolution (like how it's supposed to work), or resetting your output resolution back to what it was before. Also note that none of this happens with DLSS turned off. I can set DSR to 4k in game, alt tab, and output will have reverted to 1080p but no artifacting.
Imgur link to follow.

View: https://imgur.com/a/X5GZq9c

Last edited:
Yeah, some games really hate when you switch out from them. Try switching from "Full Screen" to "Borderless Window". It might force a lower resolution but borderless window has historically tended to be more forgiving to users tabbing out of a game. In modern games, it doesn't seem to matter as much. I tab out of games all the time with no problem.

Last edited:

Fastfishy2

Reputable
Apr 20, 2020
Yeah, some games really hate when you switch out from them. Try switchign from "Full Screen" to "Borderless Window". It might force a lower resolution but borderless window has historically tended to be more forgiving to users tabbing out of a game. In modern games, it doesn't seem to matter as much. I tab out of games all the time with no problem.
In this case it's more of DLSS having a hissy fit rather than the game itself. It doesn't like trying to upscale to a lower res than it started with, for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
I'm assuming you are using Exclusive Fullscreen? That would cause problems in this specific case. And frankly, I pretty much *always* use Borderless Fullscreen now because of problems just like this one.

In this case it's more of DLSS having a hissy fit rather than the game itself. It doesn't like trying to upscale to a lower res than it started with, for obvious reasons.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. Mind you, I don't use upscaling because with an RX 6800 XT, I haven't needed to yet and probably won't need to for at least a couple of years. Thus, I don't know how they behave. It's an interesting aspect of upscaling that I wasn't aware of so thanks for telling me. (y)