Question Dmz and port forwarding closing ports

Mar 2, 2019
Hello so i want to port forward a few ports from a game. So i forward them like normal but every port checker online says timed out so i disabled the firewall on my pc hoping it was that and i do the test and every port i forward closes and the others appear timed out so i try putting my pc on dmz and guess what now every port appears as closed. I havent found anything online and my isp doesnt block ports.

Your first step is to look at the wan IP your router shows and compare that to a site like whatsmyip. Many of the port scanner sites also show the actual IP you are using.

If these do not match you have no hope of ever getting port forwarding to work. The ISP is doing NAT on one of their routers and you can not setup port forwarding on their device.

When you run DMZ mode it is pretty simple so you have to assume that the traffic is getting to the PC and the PC is not responding. There must be a program listening on the port and responding to the scan or the port will be marked closed. The scanner does not know why it did not get a response.

Mar 2, 2019
The wan ip that my router shows does match the one shown on whatsmyip or any site. Also put my phones ip into dmz and it still shows closed. Thanks for the fast response btw

I have never tried to port forward to a phone so I have no idea how those work.

On a windows pc you can look through the network tab in the resource monitor and see if any program is listening on the port you want to use.

Before you go to lots of trouble make sure you really need ports forwarded. Most games do not need them forwarded and the ones that do the person that is forwarding the ports is "hosting" the game in most cases. That means their machine is acting as a server, I would be surprised if a phone can do that.

Many games are hosted on central servers so all connection are outgoing from your house. You only need ports forwarded when the connection are initially incoming.

Mar 2, 2019
Yeah im trying to do a minecraft server and while am doing that maybe forward some other games. I was only curious on why the ports i open are the ones closing. Thanks