DNA Stamping Could Eliminate Counterfeit Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
To me this is a parallel to software piracy. You can keep making it more difficult to copy, but eventually the pirates will find a way around it. Of course with DNA marking, it will become quite difficult, but I'm sure not impossible to copy.

Rancifer7

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
And who better to bring this technology to you, with heavy royalties of course, than us!

Here I was worrying about terrorists, plague, crime, piracy, and Bieber. Now they are making fake chips! We must act swiftly!

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
cool, another way to spread my DNA markings around the world. What a way to make life harder for the good citizens, and not any harder for the criminals.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
so this means that if you open your xbox it will be marked on the dna? sounds cool..... i guess.... at least for microsoft

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
so how do they track the dna markings??? doesnt that require the internet... and if your the gov or military thats not a good idea... that just opens up the door for all the other negative things that go along with it... great now you just uniquely ID'ed yourself and the chip were you are exactly... brilliant!

i guess they forget that this tech can be used in very bad ways to track or spy on... more privacy out the window... how is this diff then when intel tried to serialize its cpu's

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]To me this is a parallel to software piracy. You can keep making it more difficult to copy, but eventually the pirates will find a way around it. Of course with DNA marking, it will become quite difficult, but I'm sure not impossible to copy.[/citation]In other news... humanity is proven to be highly diverse!

rdwestgate

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Honestly guys I have had to deal with this is industry, and is actually more prevalent than you think. More of what the issue is that you are looking for a certain chip and go to certain a certain chip warehouse to get the IC chip you need for your PCB board and the chips are counterfeit. I had to return about a 1000 chips last week for this issue. This isn't like software piracy where we are trying to get stuff for free or pirate a game, it's more of the knock offs or people posing chips as being something they are not. I work for one of the largest DOD manufacturers so this would be a great thing to add to our supplier base.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah, there was a big scare about counterfeit Cisco products with backdoors in them for spying purposes.

The high dollar return for counterfeiting CPUs and ICs in general can be a draw for the less than honest person. We get a notice every so often "Buy ONLY through the proper channels!" else we might end up with Newegg on our face.

Status
Not open for further replies.