DNF Launches Overseas with Mixed Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Obviously I don't know about the gameplay, polish, etc., but to criticize the game for having a "coated character" that was made for the 90s, DUH it's DUKE!!! What else would you expect?

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I think it'll be just what the fan-based crowd is expecting. Other gamers...which is unfortunately most of them, probably won't like it.
But "Fail to the king, baby" is pretty funny.

G

I am expecting similar for Rage. Old style games that fail to wow the modern audience.

G

[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Like no one seen this coming? Such a waste of a great name.[/citation]

So true. They should have released the game in 01 / 02. However, I never listen to reviews. They're nonsense :)

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I'm in the States and in my mid-30's, so I remember Duke well from his hay-day. After playing the DNF demo, despite finding it's graphics pleasing, it's humor amusing, and the ass-whooping I handed some aliens fun, it didn't fill me with desire to play the full version. Not for it's asking price, anyway. I'm more inclined to wait and buy it for nostalgia's sake once it hits the $20 bin. Based on the rather harsh reviews so far, that may only take a month or so.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
At least it wasn't a catastrophe that we know well as "Bulletstorm" overhyped pile of poo. I like the Duke Nukem Forever game. It is entertaining and a breath of fresh air from our typical 3rd party run-of-the-mill FPS that are prevelant these days. I'm hoping their team comes out with something for the current gen Fermi gpus with what ideas they initially had but did not implement (graphically) in this game. I liked the level designs and gameplay of the Duke Nukem 3D game better but this game is fun anyway.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

this is actually true. I play halflife 2 deathmatch every day. it holds enormous replay value.

I paid $45USD (Steam) and I'm glad I got what I wanted: Duke Nukem.

It's weird that sometimes you get the impression that over the last year Gearbox only managed to get the pieces together instead of actually MAKING the game. There are some places around the map that you find and say "wait, that's not supposed to look like that, does it?". But oh well, it has all the "good ol' Duke" flavor of jokes and action, and that's good enough for me though.

For me it was (is actually, still playin' it XD) good game. Worthy for the 12+ years of wait? Nope, but better than keep waiting.

Cheers!

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Badly Animated Girl Giving Duke Nukem a BJ: "Was it as good for you as it was for me, Duke?"
Duke Nukem: "Yes, but after 12 f#cking years, it should be!"

Me: "But it wasn't."

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]rjandric[/nom]I say remember Daikatana... The only game worth waiting for was Half Life 2.[/citation]
I think Half-Life 2 is one of the most overrated games ever. A glorified rail shooter with bad load times and a disappointing story and lame cliffhanger ending that could've been overlooked if the even worse episodic content was at least timely. Without the grav gun and good physics/graphics, it would've been forgettable. With how long Episode 3 is taking, I hope it's going to either be 30 hours long and be completely bug free or they're developing a new engine for it, because there's no excuse for development cycles that are that long, especially for an expansion pack that will probably take a single sitting to finish.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I think Half-Life 2 is one of the most overrated games ever. A glorified rail shooter with bad load times and a disappointing story and lame cliffhanger ending that could've been overlooked if the even worse episodic content was at least timely. Without the grav gun and good physics/graphics, it would've been forgettable. With how long Episode 3 is taking, I hope it's going to either be 30 hours long and be completely bug free or they're developing a new engine for it, because there's no excuse for development cycles that are that long, especially for an expansion pack that will probably take a single sitting to finish.[/citation]

the game was fun, half life 2, but i ran into so many bugs that apparently only i had. and made the game on the pc unplayable.

few years later little brother gets orange box... and i have to say... wtf was everyone loving? its better than the ww2 shooters it was competing with, but what else was their back than? granted this annoyance may just be because i played with a controler on an sdtv (at the time) but damn... was that game the meh for me.

personally i prefer serious sam style games. and i think duke will have that, with better jokes. cant wait to play with the poo.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the game was fun, half life 2, but i ran into so many bugs that apparently only i had. and made the game on the pc unplayable. few years later little brother gets orange box... and i have to say... wtf was everyone loving? its better than the ww2 shooters it was competing with, but what else was their back than? granted this annoyance may just be because i played with a controler on an sdtv (at the time) but damn... was that game the meh for me. personally i prefer serious sam style games. and i think duke will have that, with better jokes. cant wait to play with the poo.[/citation]

I never had any issues with Half-Life 2. And Maxor127, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but do you know HOW many people not only consider Half-Life 2 an amazing shooter, but the best of all time? Saying it's overrated is totally your right, but you are in the EXTREME minority my friend (especially with your comment that without the physics/graphics and the grav gun it would be forgettable). I'm curious as to what you think an amazing shooter is, and what you feel in your opinion the best shooter of all time is then.

G

IF they had bothered to make the graphics on PC look at least as good as Left4Dead2 or Borderlands I would have been pleased, sadly even on Ultra settings @ 1080p it looks like a console game running at 800x600

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The thing that I cant stand about the execution of this game is that it looks like it was rendered in dx8 or early dx9. The models look ok but kinda blocky in some parts, the shadows are hard, the skin on the people looks horrible, and any mouth animations are crude at best. Honestly it looks like it should have been released in 99 or 2000 to be groundbreaking. Hell a team of 10 guys from croatia made 3 (almost 4) games along the same lines as duke before DNF came out and when DNF finally does arrive it looks luke warm at best.

Love the fact they actually show nudity though...well supposedly (since all the vids ive seen have been censored... not sure if thats in the game or they edited the vid). Im so tired of games that allow you to blow someone's head off with a sniper rifle (or in the case of MK9 physically rip his head off) but wont show a digital nipple or vagina. Even if DNF's story is horrible Im still going to buy it just to support games that arent hypocritical about nudity (are you listening mass effect?)

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
DNF is exactly what ive been looking for a vintage FPS, with short puzzles in the level, good action, the 3d models move fluidly, decent death animation, lots of little mini games to mess around with. this game is exactly what it should be. i really have to say the people giving this game low reviews either didnt play the original, or played it and didnt like it then.

this is the type of game you want to have as an option at a lan party, anyones computer can run it, load it up, jump in and everyone is in the game off to the races. . . this game is worth buying. has lots of content.
and i thought bulletstorm was weak, they tried some cool new ideas but, i didnt like them.

G

The demo wasn't that great, but the full version was awesome. I played the whole game through, yes the graphics are dated and the Duke persona doesn't translate well any more, but the gameplay was generally fun. I personally think that only being able to carrying two weapons was a good decision, it kept the guns fresh and interesting throughout the game

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]flybri[/nom]I never had any issues with Half-Life 2. And Maxor127, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but do you know HOW many people not only consider Half-Life 2 an amazing shooter, but the best of all time? Saying it's overrated is totally your right, but you are in the EXTREME minority my friend (especially with your comment that without the physics/graphics and the grav gun it would be forgettable). I'm curious as to what you think an amazing shooter is, and what you feel in your opinion the best shooter of all time is then.[/citation]

for me i ran into a bug that was constant and even when i managed to get the game to work, next load it would rehappen. all pcs and npcs would act as though im invisible.

if it wasnt for the physics engine, the game would have lost ALLOT but i cant hold that against the game as it made the game better.

like i said, i enjoy serious sam style games. but to call one the best... i would be leaning towards system shock, and bio shock. if i had a computer around deus ex time, i may like that one far more, but when i played it... it was REALLY dated, not bad, but not great either.

is also say unreal tounament, and also quake arena... but those were also the first two i played competitivly. last unreal i liked was the one before they added veichals.

i also liked the battlefield seriese...

really it comes down to what im in the mood for.

if i want arena fun shooter, id go unreal, or quake live, what ever im in the mood for.

if i want to be competitive (team) ill go battle feild

if i want to play offline, id go bioshock, or serious sam.

but i honestly wouldn't pick half life 2, unless i never played it before. if valve was at least remotely fast with an expansion, a new game, or anything (a 1 year expansion cycle or a 4-5 year full game) i may like the half life series more...

Status
Not open for further replies.