DNS 2k & Internet

Hi Guys,

This could either be totally basic or totally technical :

I have a standard forest setup called forest 1 which contains a standard dns
setup and 20 odd clients... the dns server is in london in forest 2 however
the specific client in forest 1 has been given a 2nd DNS server of the
server in forest 2... I can access websites - nslookup can resolve queries
to hotmail.com and yahoo alike etc.. however i can only access the web pages
using the IP and not the name hence it would appear DNS has a problem...
ports are open for dns queries as is ports for http / https.

Any ideas would be most appreciated...

Prits.

In news:%23R%238yXfXEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Prits in <pinkyprits@hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> Hi Guys,
>
> This could either be totally basic or totally technical :
>
> I have a standard forest setup called forest 1 which contains a
> standard dns setup and 20 odd clients... the dns server is in london
> in forest 2 however the specific client in forest 1 has been given a
> 2nd DNS server of the server in forest 2... I can access websites -
> nslookup can resolve queries to hotmail.com and yahoo alike etc..
> however i can only access the web pages using the IP and not the name
> hence it would appear DNS has a problem... ports are open for dns
> queries as is ports for http / https.
>
> Any ideas would be most appreciated...
>
> Prits.

Well, not sure if basic or technical. You said you can access websites. Or
did you mean you can JUST resolve them with nslookup and not really access
them with a browser?

If the browser is not able to show you a website, by you can by IP, then it
leads me to ask, what is your network topology and configuration? Please do
elaborate to give you a better response.

Can you ping www.yahoo.com and get a resolution (without nslookup)?
Do you have a Proxy or ISA?
What sort of line do you have? Dialup? ADSL? SDSL? T1?
Firewall?
What browser?
What OS?
Are you only using your DNS ?
Do you have forwarders configured?

FYI: DNS needs 53 TCP as well as 53 UDP.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup so all
can benefit. This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and
confers no rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

"Prits" <pinkyprits@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#R#8yXfXEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Hi Guys,
>
> This could either be totally basic or totally technical :
>
> I have a standard forest setup called forest 1 which contains a standard dns
> setup and 20 odd clients... the dns server is in london in forest 2 however
> the specific client in forest 1 has been given a 2nd DNS server of the
> server in forest 2... I can access websites - nslookup can resolve queries
> to hotmail.com and yahoo alike etc.. however i can only access the web pages
> using the IP and not the name hence it would appear DNS has a problem...
> ports are open for dns queries as is ports for http / https.
>
> Any ideas would be most appreciated...
>
> Prits.

how is your browser is configued with or with out proxy
if its with proxy make sure the proxy server can resolve the names