• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

[SOLVED] DNS bad config after many attempts to fix

propizzza

Prominent
Nov 1, 2018
Hello,

I've been getting DNS_probe_finished_bad_config on my PC. This does not happen to any other devices connected to my router, and I have tried connecting both Ethernet and plugging my wireless adapter into a laptop to see if it was the problem. Before this, I tried changing the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and restarting my router. My connection returned however only temporarily. I was unable to start up any programs that required an internet connection (such as Leauge of Legends) I would only get a message telling me I needed an internet connection. I also attempted to flush and renew, which still had no effect. The only thing I can recall doing that may have affected my connection is changing my IPv4 a while back.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or help, thanks.

Update: I have turned on my Windscribe VPN and I'm perfectly able to access the internet and programs for some reason, however I would like a permanent solution if possible.

Last edited:
Try to set the DNS in your PC itself under the IPv4 settings. Disable IPv6 while you are in there. IPv6 can cause strange issues for some people.

Your best option to test DNS issues is to use the NSLOOKUP command.

Try simple
NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.ciom
This will show if your default works

You can also try
NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com 8.8.8.8

You can try 4.2,2.2 and 1.1.1.1 for dns to see if they work different. Don't be surprised if you get different IP addresses for some sites from different DNS servers.

Last edited:
@propizzza
Both Ethernet and WiFi, so I think this is a software issue. I would start by resetting TCP/IP:
  1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.
  2. At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem:
  • Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  • Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
If you continue to have problems, then it could be a driver (doubtful, but worth reinstalling drivers) or possibly some network software like a 3rd party firewall or antivirus that monitors the network.

propizzza

Prominent
Nov 1, 2018
@propizzza
Both Ethernet and WiFi, so I think this is a software issue. I would start by resetting TCP/IP:
  1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.
  2. At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem:
  • Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  • Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
If you continue to have problems, then it could be a driver (doubtful, but worth reinstalling drivers) or possibly some network software like a 3rd party firewall or antivirus that monitors the network.
I've tried this twice now, sadly it still is not working without a VPN.

Try to set the DNS in your PC itself under the IPv4 settings. Disable IPv6 while you are in there. IPv6 can cause strange issues for some people.

Try simple

You can also try

You can try 4.2,2.2 and 1.1.1.1 for dns to see if they work different. Don't be surprised if you get different IP addresses for some sites from different DNS servers.

Last edited:

propizzza

Prominent
Nov 1, 2018
I tried doing the ipconfig flush thing with Ethernet in, still no effect.

Try simple

You can also try

So I tried both, same thing happens. Also started getting the message DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Last edited:

propizzza

Prominent
Nov 1, 2018
So I went back after 10 hours of retrying everything and after turning off my IPv6 again my wifi magically came back. yay.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS