DNS Forwarders configuration

I'm setting up a DNS internal server and am not clear how
to configure the fowarders to our external ISP's DNS
servers.

I did have the list of forwarders entered with the "do not
use recursion" checked (default). Then we started having
problems not getting to some web sites and when I removed
the list of forwarders it started working again. Seems to
me I should configure forwarders, but it works fine
without them...is this ok?

I'm not clear if I'm using the forwarders if "do not use
recursion" should be checked or cleared and if I should
remove all the root hints entries.

Thanks for any help in unconfusing me here.

Janine

Please copy to janinelumc@yahoo.com

Hi Janine

Typically, you'll want all domain members to point to your DNS servers that
own the zone that represents your internal name space. From there, the DNS
servers would forward requests to your ISP's DNS server(s).

You might want to slightly increase the timeout for forward requests. This
could explain the problem with some sites.

I generally leave the recursion checkbox unchecked. The help has a good
whack of info on this.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]