[SOLVED] DNS or IP Issue????

Jan 6, 2019
Hi, I live in a family of 6 and recently my brother got a new pc. We got 2 new ethernet cords for him and myself. When we turned our PC's on, the internet wasn't working. I troubleshooted on both PC's and it said "DNS not responding". I then changed our PC's DNS but nothing worked, i also reset the modem. After hours of trial and error, I open the CMD and typed "ipconfig/release" then "ipconfig/renew" It fixed the internet, but now, every single time we reboot our PC's the same error pops up and i have to type the 2 command lines again in the cmd to get them working. This is definitely going to get annoying. Please help me

Solution
I then changed our PC's DNS but nothing worked
^This is a bad practice to begin with.

Your DNS and other network settings should be SET ONCE with the DHCP server, leave all PC IP settings to Auto/Dynamic, then every time a PC/Client asks for an IP, it also gets those other settings from the DHCP server in a consistent manner.

Ur symptom may suggest somethings that happens, throwing it out there:

Do: Modem ---> Router ---> Switch
Don't: Modem ---> Switch ---> Router.
There is some issue getting IP addresses from your router. If you look at the ipconfig output you likely will find you do not have a ip addresses assigned.

The method that will make it work but not really tell you why DHCP has a issue is to not use DHCP. Just assign static ip addresses to the nic card in the ipv4 settings. Optimally you want to assign them outside the dhcp pool your router uses but high ip addresses is general work. So if your gateway is 192.168.0.1 you can use things like 192.168.0.220 and 192.168.0.221

I then changed our PC's DNS but nothing worked
^This is a bad practice to begin with.

Your DNS and other network settings should be SET ONCE with the DHCP server, leave all PC IP settings to Auto/Dynamic, then every time a PC/Client asks for an IP, it also gets those other settings from the DHCP server in a consistent manner.

Ur symptom may suggest somethings that happens, throwing it out there:

Do: Modem ---> Router ---> Switch
Don't: Modem ---> Switch ---> Router.

Solution