Question DNS Ping "Request Timed Out"

Jan 7, 2022
So, I recently (2 months ago) changed my router settings to always use google's DNS server (8.8.8.8). Since then I have noticed connection drops on Microsoft Teams calls. The odd thing with the drops is that I can see the incoming video and voice just fine, does not skip a beat, but the person who I am calling says that I have frozen or that they can no longer hear me even though through that period of instability on their end everything appears fine on my end.

I have performed a command prompt execution of ping -t 8.8.8.8 and I will occasionally get "Request Timed Out" issues. I have tried resetting my router a few times but this issue seems to keep popping up.

Also, when playing online games I will randomly get disconnected at times as well.

I suppose I should change my router settings back to automatically get the DNS servers from my ISP since these issues seem to have started after I changed my DNS pull to be static.

I appreciate any insight or any further tests I can perform to root cause my issue.

Thanks!

It is highly unlikely that google dns (8.8.8.8) has a failure. Even if it would that IP is actually duplicated in many location in the world and it would just switch to the next nearest active one.

It is must more likely you internet is taking large amounts of data loss but not enough for it to actually fully go down.

I would run a tracert 8.8.8.8. Next leave ping run to hop 1 and hop 2 as well as 8.8.8.8. It would be unusual if you see issue to hop1 especially if you use ethernet cables. Hop2 for most people represents the connection between your house and the ISP first router. This tends to be the most common point to get packet loss and also the easiest to get the ISP to fix.

If both hop1 and hop 2 are good but you still have loss to 8.8.8.8 you can try other hops in the trace but the farther away it is the harder it is to get someone to fix it.

Although it likely will be the same you could try 1.1.1.1 which is cloudflare and it tends to be as reliable as google.

Jan 7, 2022
It is highly unlikely that google dns (8.8.8.8) has a failure. Even if it would that IP is actually duplicated in many location in the world and it would just switch to the next nearest active one.

It is must more likely you internet is taking large amounts of data loss but not enough for it to actually fully go down.

I would run a tracert 8.8.8.8. Next leave ping run to hop 1 and hop 2 as well as 8.8.8.8. It would be unusual if you see issue to hop1 especially if you use ethernet cables. Hop2 for most people represents the connection between your house and the ISP first router. This tends to be the most common point to get packet loss and also the easiest to get the ISP to fix.

If both hop1 and hop 2 are good but you still have loss to 8.8.8.8 you can try other hops in the trace but the farther away it is the harder it is to get someone to fix it.

Although it likely will be the same you could try 1.1.1.1 which is cloudflare and it tends to be as reliable as google.

Thanks Bill,

I actually started using 1.1.1.1 and encountered these issues so I switched to 8.8.8.8 to see if cloudflare was the problem. Now that I have educated myself more on this topic I realize that was a silly thought.

Can you help walk me through how I would perform a tracert?