DNS Problems

. Reply (E-mail) Forward (E-mail)

>**UPDATE**

I had to reinstall the Win2k server OS and I ma now up and
running again.
I changed the Dynamic updates option.
I have to use the DNS IP of 10.0.20.100 so I can connect
to a server in St. Louis (the main Webster campus).
When I change the DSN IP to 10.11.40.101 I loose all
internet connectivity.
Here is my question: How do I get the DSN to work using
the IP of 10.0.20.100?

My info again:

Server IP: 10.11.40.100
Subnet: 255.255.252.0
Gateway: 10.11.40.1
We are on a VPN.

I am rather dumb to the DNS stuff if ya can't tell. I
appreciate any help.
Thanx,

Terry

PS I figure I have about 1 week before the AD shuts down
again...but I can reload if that does occure.

..

Subject: Re: DNS Errors
From: "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> Sent: 7/5/2004
10:35:31 AM

>> 1. Here is the info you asked for:
>> ipconfig/all:
>> Host Name: aws001
>> Primary DNS Suffix: Albuquerque.webster.edu
>> Node Type: Hybrid
>> IP Routing Enabled: No
>> WINS Proxy Enabled: No
>> DNS Suffix Search List: Albuquerque.webster.edu
>> webster.edu
>>
>> Physical Address: 00-0C-F1-8B-FC-F1
>> DHCP Enabled: No
>> IP Adress: 10.11.40.100
>> Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0
>> Default Gateway: 10.11.40.1
>> DNS Servers: 10.0.20.100
>>

>> 2. Error Log #: 5774
>>
>> 3. The DNS name in the ADUC is not available. When I try
>> to get to it it gives me the following error:
>> "Naming information cannot be located because:
>> The specified doamin does not exist or cannot be
>> located"
>>
>> 4. Client info:
>> Host Name: Madeleine
>> Primary DNS Suffix: Albuquerque.webster.edu
>> Node Type: Hybrid
>> IP Routing Enabled: No
>> WINS Proxy Enabled: No
>> DNS Suffix Search List: Albuquerque.webster.edu
>> webster.edu
>>
>> Physical Address: 00-0C-F1-8A-38-A9
>> DHCP Enabled: No
>> IP Adress: 10.11.40.101
>> Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0
>> Default Gateway: 10.11.40.1
>> DNS Servers: 10.0.20.100
>>
>> 5. DNS
>> AWS001
>> Foward lookup zone
>> albuquerque.webster.edu
>>
>> inside the folder: "albuquerque.webster.edu"
>> Start of Authority
aws001.albuquerque.edu.,admin.
>> Name Server aws001.albuquerque.webster.edu
>> Host 10.11.40.100
>>
>> 6. Dynamic updates: Only secure updates
>>
>> I hope I got everything for you.
>>
>> Thanx,
>>
>> Billings

Update again*******
I changed the DNS IP to the DC (10.11.40.100) and enabled the fowarding to DNS IP (10.0.20.100 at the main campus) and stopped the netlogon service and then re-started the service and no errors came up in the event viewer.
That should solve the issue I think.
Let me know what you think Kevin D. and Ace Fekay?

Terry

"Billings" wrote:

> [...]
> >> located"
> >>
> >> 4. Client info:
> >> Host Name: Madeleine
> >> Primary DNS Suffix: Albuquerque.webster.edu
> >> Node Type: Hybrid
> >> IP Routing Enabled: No
> >> WINS Proxy Enabled: No
> >> DNS Suffix Search List: Albuquerque.webster.edu
> >> webster.edu
> >>
> >> Physical Address: 00-0C-F1-8A-38-A9
> >> DHCP Enabled: No
> >> IP Adress: 10.11.40.101
> >> Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0
> >> Default Gateway: 10.11.40.1
> >> DNS Servers: 10.0.20.100
> >>
> >> 5. DNS
> >> AWS001
> >> Foward lookup zone
> >> albuquerque.webster.edu
> >>
> >> inside the folder: "albuquerque.webster.edu"
> >> Start of Authority
> aws001.albuquerque.edu.,admin.
> >> Name Server aws001.albuquerque.webster.edu

In news:80CB186B-9335-400B-88C4-57742A850513@microsoft.com,
Billings <Billings@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Update again*******
> I changed the DNS IP to the DC (10.11.40.100) and enabled
> the fowarding to DNS IP (10.0.20.100 at the main campus)
> and stopped the netlogon service and then re-started the
> service and no errors came up in the event viewer.
> That should solve the issue I think.
> Let me know what you think Kevin D. and Ace Fekay?

Using the main campus as your DNS forwarder will work fine as long as the
main campus does not have a forwarder back to you, that will set up a DNS
loop.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Thanx for all your help. I really appreciate it!!
No more reloading the OS, "Oh Yeah".
I will make sure the main campus does not foward to me.
Are there any other options that would have worked?
Just so I know for future needs and or helping others.

billings

your
>newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
>issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from
my
>email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
>Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
>It will strip signature out and more
>Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
>OEBackup:
>

>.

In news:2764e01c462e7$dc375e00$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Billings <billings@webster.edu> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thanx for all your help. I really appreciate it!!
> No more reloading the OS, "Oh Yeah".
> I will make sure the main campus does not foward to me.
> Are there any other options that would have worked?
> Just so I know for future needs and or helping others.

Yes, there is another option you can take, a Secondary zone from the other
Domain on your local DNS server.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

In news:269cf01c462b7$b36f2780$a401280a@phx.gbl,
Billings <billings@webster.edu> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
below:
> . Reply (E-mail) Forward (E-mail)
>

>> **UPDATE**
>
> I had to reinstall the Win2k server OS and I ma now up and
> running again.
> I changed the Dynamic updates option.
> I have to use the DNS IP of 10.0.20.100 so I can connect
> to a server in St. Louis (the main Webster campus).
> When I change the DSN IP to 10.11.40.101 I loose all
> internet connectivity.
> Here is my question: How do I get the DSN to work using
> the IP of 10.0.20.100?

Let me get this straight, according to your config info, 10.11.40.101 is a
machine called 'madeleine'. You;re saying that you set your DNS address to
madeleine? Unless I'm misreading this...

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

No, what I ended up doing was using the IP of the DC and
then foward it to the 10.0.20.100 (the main campus).

No more errors.

According to Kevin D. there is another way but I have not
tried it yet.

Thanx for all your help. I really do appreciate it!!!

Billings

newsgroups
>so all can benefit.
>
>This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or
guarantees

In news:27d7401c463e4$1ace7d90$a401280a@phx.gbl,
billings <billings@webster.edu> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
below:
> No, what I ended up doing was using the IP of the DC and
> then foward it to the 10.0.20.100 (the main campus).
>
> No more errors.
>
> According to Kevin D. there is another way but I have not
> tried it yet.
>
> Thanx for all your help. I really do appreciate it!!!
>
> Billings

Kevin's talking about making a secondary zone (a copy). But what you just
did we were trying to suggest from earlier on and in your other thread. Glad
its working now.

Ace