DNS Questions

nick

Okay, 2 servers running DNS, AD Integrated accepting
secure updates.

New machine boots up, registers with primary DNS.
IP changes a few hours later (moved to differant VLAN)
Secondary DNS server does not pick up the change.

Also, old DNS entries never go away.

I also notice that old machine accounts stay forever in AD
as well.

Any clues?

In news:2054f01c45952$884db1c0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Nick <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> Okay, 2 servers running DNS, AD Integrated accepting
> secure updates.
>
> New machine boots up, registers with primary DNS.
> IP changes a few hours later (moved to differant VLAN)
> Secondary DNS server does not pick up the change.
>
> Also, old DNS entries never go away.
>
> I also notice that old machine accounts stay forever in AD
> as well.
>
> Any clues?

For DNS you can use the scavenging feature to remove expired data.

For machine accounts, just manually delete them. Read more and how to here
if you have many inactive accounts or not sure which are inactive or not:
http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsScripting/Articles/ArticleID/16292/pg/2/2.html

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --