DNS SERV FAIL

Blake

I am getting the following error on a small number of lookups:

8281 DR SERVFAIL

I am unsure how to proceed.

Can anyone point me to some documentation on troubleshooting these events?

Thanks
Blake

This usually indicates that the nameservers responsible for the domain that
is being resolved are either mis-configured or down, but it is impossible to
say without context.

"Blake" <blake_duffey@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am getting the following error on a small number of lookups:
>
> 8281 DR SERVFAIL
>
> I am unsure how to proceed.
>
> Can anyone point me to some documentation on troubleshooting these events?
>
> Thanks
> Blake

Blake

I have a Windows 2003 DNS server - here are the results of an nslookup

> www.nai.com
Server: dogwood.longwood.edu
Address: 159.230.4.130

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: a250.gc.akamai.net
Addresses: 65.161.97.144, 65.161.97.150
Aliases: www.nai.com, www.nai.com.edgesuite.net

> ftp.nai.com
Server: dogwood.longwood.edu
Address: 159.230.4.130

*** dogwood.longwood.edu can't find ftp.nai.com: Server failed

ftp.nai.com should be valid, as some other servers I have tried can resolve
it.

Blake
"Jeff Westhead [MSFT]" <jwesth@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This usually indicates that the nameservers responsible for the domain
> that is being resolved are either mis-configured or down, but it is
> impossible to say without context.
>
> "Blake" <blake_duffey@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am getting the following error on a small number of lookups:
>>
>> 8281 DR SERVFAIL
>>
>> I am unsure how to proceed.
>>
>> Can anyone point me to some documentation on troubleshooting these
>> events?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Blake

Blake

An external DNS I have tried returns this:

> ftp.nai.com
Server: dns1.nai.com
Address: 205.227.136.210

Name: ftp.nai.com
Served by:
- dal3dns.nai.com
205.227.136.200
ftp.nai.com
- snc3dns.nai.com
67.97.80.200
ftp.nai.com

I am unfamiliar with this kind of return...

Blake
"Jeff Westhead [MSFT]" <jwesth@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This usually indicates that the nameservers responsible for the domain
> that is being resolved are either mis-configured or down, but it is
> impossible to say without context.
>
> "Blake" <blake_duffey@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am getting the following error on a small number of lookups:
>>
>> 8281 DR SERVFAIL
>>
>> I am unsure how to proceed.
>>
>> Can anyone point me to some documentation on troubleshooting these
>> events?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Blake

Seems to work from here:

opcode: Query, status: NoError, id: 42
flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

QUESTION SECTION:
ftp.nai.com. IN A

ANSWER SECTION:
ftp.nai.com. 30 IN A 216.49.88.143

Query time: 125 ms
Server : 159.230.4.130:53 udp (159.230.4.130)
When : 11/5/2004 4:40:48 PM
Size rcvd : 45

--
William Stacey, MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> I have a Windows 2003 DNS server - here are the results of an nslookup
>
> > www.nai.com
> Server: dogwood.longwood.edu
> Address: 159.230.4.130
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name: a250.gc.akamai.net
> Addresses: 65.161.97.144, 65.161.97.150
> Aliases: www.nai.com, www.nai.com.edgesuite.net
>
> > ftp.nai.com
> Server: dogwood.longwood.edu
> Address: 159.230.4.130
>
> *** dogwood.longwood.edu can't find ftp.nai.com: Server failed
>
> ftp.nai.com should be valid, as some other servers I have tried can
resolve
> it.
>
> Blake
> "Jeff Westhead [MSFT]" <jwesth@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This usually indicates that the nameservers responsible for the domain
> > that is being resolved are either mis-configured or down, but it is
> > impossible to say without context.
> >
> > "Blake" <blake_duffey@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>I am getting the following error on a small number of lookups:
> >>
> >> 8281 DR SERVFAIL
> >>
> >> I am unsure how to proceed.
> >>
> >> Can anyone point me to some documentation on troubleshooting these
> >> events?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Blake

TRENDING THREADS