DNS Server Device (no openWRT, no linux / windows box)

Sep 6, 2018
Hi,

I need device brand and model that can serve as DNS server. openWRT voids device warranty.
I do not want to install linux / windows to have DNS server.
I do not want dnsmasq, it requires linux box.

The whole idea is straightforward, There are L2 and L3 network management devices. But i can't find some model with DNS server features embedded in the firmware.

Many thanks.

The problem you have is DNS is not a simplistic function it needs someplace to store data like a disk driver. You can get all kinds of firewalls that have that feature mostly because they are someone that has preloaded linux on to a small server and just hidden that fact from you.

Unless you just do not want to make the effort it is still your best option to buy a very small computer and load a linux distribution to it. All you are doing when you buy a magic box that does this is pay someone else to do the installs.

Sep 6, 2018

Thanks for answering @bill001g, i tried to write as laymen as possible. Now perhaps i can write more technical jargon, host table

My case, every enterprise grade server has a IPMI 2.0 based remote management tools, be it rmm, drac, ilom, imm, ilo etc. My server: myserver1.hongky.local is a webserver but the remote management tool is myserverilo.hongky.local with ip address 10.10.250.30. I turn on / off physical server through remote management tools. The server has webserver, database server, and also citrix + DNS server. Real DNS server.

If the server on , the "real DNS server" serves well, but after the server off, nobody translate myserverilo.hongky.local into 10.10.250.30 in the local subnet.

windows host file did well for 1 laptop, but i need better solution. Therefore, i need a device that just simply put host table to translate 10.10.250.30 into myserverilo.hongky.local, not a full fledged DNS server.

You should be able to override a domain in a dns server. The ones that I used under linux let you key in equivalent to a host table for anything you wanted and then if it did not find a entry it asked a internet DNS server.

Host table is the simplest way to solve this. What you kinda want is a custom dns server that only does a couple addresses. That is not really possible since your PC will only ask a single machine for entries. That server must somehow then get results for all. A pc can have multiple DNS servers but it will not even attempt to contact the second one if the first even accepts the connection.

Maybe use a cheap router with dd-wrt purely as your DNS server that way you don't mess up your main router. Does not take much of a router to just forward DNS query. There are a couple methods of over ride. You can directly put entries in the host file but there is another better method I forget to do this.

Sep 6, 2018

thanks bill001g, i can't do ddwrt or open wrt as we have hardware supplier for our company. The company will not do any dd wrt or open wrt for their product, against their internal policy. We just manage IT process.

That's why i quite surprise L2 or L3 cisco / tp link devices cannot do simple DNS functionality.