DNS server not aswering to nslookup command????

Dear all,

I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000 server PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is confugure.
Domain name is home.net.

Then I have a client PC running XP that I would like it to join that domain.
From the client I can ping succesfully the DNS server IP, and DHCP is running fine.

Problem I get is that when trying to join the domain is raise an error that it can nor found the domain.

Then I run from the client command nslookup <my Server IP> 127.0.0.1 and at that time DNS server fail to respond.

DNS configuration is set with all default entries, and if I run the TEST querry inside DNS it PASS all of them

ON my client PC I am Administrator

Do I have to add my XP machine inside my Domain Controler ?
Do I have to set a particular account to be able to joind the domain?

What did I miss here ?

Thnaks for your reply
regards
serge

"serge calderara" <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:141BD03F-D4C5-4859-BDC8-7491DE8DB6AF@microsoft.com...
> Dear all,
>
> I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000 server
PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is confugure.
> Domain name is home.net.
>
> Then I have a client PC running XP that I would like it to join that
domain.
> From the client I can ping succesfully the DNS server IP, and DHCP is
running fine.

That might be due to broadcasts unless you are pinging
the full name server.yourdomain.com. or whatever.

> Problem I get is that when trying to join the domain is raise an error
that it can nor found the domain.

This gives further evdicence that you have a DNS problem.
....likely the CLIENT is misconfigured.

> Then I run from the client command nslookup <my Server IP> 127.0.0.1 and
at that time DNS server fail to respond.

And more evidence PERHAPS, but that nslookup command is a
REVERSE request and I bet you don't have the revere zone set
up -- and if you are running it from the CLIENT then this is
more evidence that you don't have DNS CLIENT side configured.

Try this: nslookup ServerName.yourdomain.com server.IP.addr.ess

(Put in the DNS server address as the last parameter.)

If that works you server is fine.

> DNS configuration is set with all default entries, and if I run the TEST
querry inside DNS it PASS all of them
> ON my client PC I am Administrator
>
> Do I have to add my XP machine inside my Domain Controler ?

Not for DNS to work.

But I bet you forgot to change the CLIENT NIC IP DNS server
properties to SOLELY the INTERNAL DNS server.

You really need to do this on that DNS server too - servers are
DNS clients also.

If you wish to resolve Internet names also, then use the the
Forwarding tab of the DNS server to put in the ISPs DNS
server address.

> Do I have to set a particular account to be able to joind the domain?

Admins always can do it, but normally so can users. This is
NOT your problem though (at least so far).

> What did I miss here ?

DNS client NIC settings.

--
Herb Martin

> Thnaks for your reply
> regards
> serge

Some more information..

When I ping my dns server with its full name instead of IP, ping is succesfull
From client side my Primary DNS server IP is automatically given my DHCP service unning on my server.

My server adress settings are:
IP: 192.168.1.20
Mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 198.168.1.1
DNS ip: itself (127.0.0.1)

On my client Xp machine DHCP gives to my adapter card folowing parameters:

IP : 192.168.1.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.20

ON both side Gateway adress is an ADSL modem router but I do not car about i for now.

SO based on that I geus that the client is configure properly as there is nothing mucg I can set here except thos IP settings given by DHCP

From DNS server side, the reverse zone is the default one that you can see when you select from View - Advanced

What could I check more from server side ?
What do you mean by

regards
serge

"Herb Martin" wrote:

> "serge calderara" <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:141BD03F-D4C5-4859-BDC8-7491DE8DB6AF@microsoft.com...
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000 server
> PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is confugure.
> > Domain name is home.net.
> >
> > Then I have a client PC running XP that I would like it to join that
> domain.
> > From the client I can ping succesfully the DNS server IP, and DHCP is
> running fine.
>
> That might be due to broadcasts unless you are pinging
> the full name server.yourdomain.com. or whatever.
>
> > Problem I get is that when trying to join the domain is raise an error
> that it can nor found the domain.
>
> This gives further evdicence that you have a DNS problem.
> ....likely the CLIENT is misconfigured.
>
> > Then I run from the client command nslookup <my Server IP> 127.0.0.1 and
> at that time DNS server fail to respond.
>
> And more evidence PERHAPS, but that nslookup command is a
> REVERSE request and I bet you don't have the revere zone set
> up -- and if you are running it from the CLIENT then this is
> more evidence that you don't have DNS CLIENT side configured.
>
> Try this: nslookup ServerName.yourdomain.com server.IP.addr.ess
>
> (Put in the DNS server address as the last parameter.)
>
> If that works you server is fine.
>
> > DNS configuration is set with all default entries, and if I run the TEST
> querry inside DNS it PASS all of them
> > ON my client PC I am Administrator
> >
> > Do I have to add my XP machine inside my Domain Controler ?
>
> Not for DNS to work.
>
> But I bet you forgot to change the CLIENT NIC IP DNS server
> properties to SOLELY the INTERNAL DNS server.
>
> You really need to do this on that DNS server too - servers are
> DNS clients also.
>
> If you wish to resolve Internet names also, then use the the
> Forwarding tab of the DNS server to put in the ISPs DNS
> server address.
>
> > Do I have to set a particular account to be able to joind the domain?
>
> Admins always can do it, but normally so can users. This is
> NOT your problem though (at least so far).
>
> > What did I miss here ?
>
> DNS client NIC settings.
>
> --
> Herb Martin
>

> > Thnaks for your reply
> > regards
> > serge

> What could I check more from server side ?
> What do you mean by

Read my other (first) post this thread.

"serge calderara" <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8B72BE73-696B-4763-8CDF-290344B9B69A@microsoft.com...
> Some more information..
>
> When I ping my dns server with its full name instead of IP, ping is
succesfull
> From client side my Primary DNS server IP is automatically given my DHCP
service unning on my server.

> My server adress settings are:
> IP: 192.168.1.20
> Mask: 255.255.255.0
> gateway: 198.168.1.1
> DNS ip: itself (127.0.0.1)
>
> On my client Xp machine DHCP gives to my adapter card folowing parameters:
>
> IP : 192.168.1.2
> Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Gateway:192.168.1.1
> DNS: 192.168.1.20

Looks good.

> ON both side Gateway adress is an ADSL modem router but I do not car about
i for now.

Right, that is irrelevant.

> SO based on that I geus that the client is configure properly as there is
nothing mucg I can set here except thos IP settings given by DHCP

See my other post.

You don't seem to have a problem now though.

Ping by name works now, right?

NSlookup probably works also....

It might require the "full name" (as I said before) if you
don't have the workstation's full domain name in the System
control panel set correctly.

> From DNS server side, the reverse zone is the default one that you can see
when you select from View - Advanced

--
Herb Martin

> [...]
> >
> > If that works you server is fine.
> >
> > > DNS configuration is set with all default entries, and if I run the
TEST
> > querry inside DNS it PASS all of them
> > > ON my client PC I am Administrator
> > >
> > > Do I have to add my XP machine inside my Domain Controler ?
> >
> > Not for DNS to work.
> >
> > But I bet you forgot to change the CLIENT NIC IP DNS server
> > properties to SOLELY the INTERNAL DNS server.
> >
> > You really need to do this on that DNS server too - servers are
> > DNS clients also.
> >
> > If you wish to resolve Internet names also, then use the the
> > Forwarding tab of the DNS server to put in the ISPs DNS
> > server address.
> >
> > > Do I have to set a particular account to be able to joind the domain?
> >
> > Admins always can do it, but normally so can users. This is
> > NOT your problem though (at least so far).

Even if the ping the full server name is working, the nslookup stiil fails...

"Herb Martin" wrote:

> [...]
> > > up -- and if you are running it from the CLIENT then this is
> > > more evidence that you don't have DNS CLIENT side configured.
> > >
> > > Try this: nslookup ServerName.yourdomain.com server.IP.addr.ess
> > >
> > > (Put in the DNS server address as the last parameter.)
> > >
> > > If that works you server is fine.

> TEST
> > > querry inside DNS it PASS all of them

> > > Not for DNS to work.
> > >
> > > But I bet you forgot to change the CLIENT NIC IP DNS server
> > > properties to SOLELY the INTERNAL DNS server.
> > >
> > > You really need to do this on that DNS server too - servers are
> > > DNS clients also.
> > >
> > > If you wish to resolve Internet names also, then use the the
> > > Forwarding tab of the DNS server to put in the ISPs DNS
> > > server address.

> > > Admins always can do it, but normally so can users. This is
> > > NOT your problem though (at least so far).

In news:8B72BE73-696B-4763-8CDF-290344B9B69A@microsoft.com,
serge calderara <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Some more information..
>
> When I ping my dns server with its full name instead of IP, ping is
> succesfull
> From client side my Primary DNS server IP is automatically given my
> DHCP service unning on my server.
>
> My server adress settings are:
> IP: 192.168.1.20
> Mask: 255.255.255.0
> gateway: 198.168.1.1
> DNS ip: itself (127.0.0.1)

Don't use the Loopback address for DNS, use the IP of the private interface
192.168.1.20. Also, make sure you have a reverse lookup zone named
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.(Advanced view) or 192.168.1.x Subnet(Advanced View
off) and allow dynamic updates on the zone.
When creating a reverse lookup zone I find it less confusing to create the
reverse lookup zone by name rather than by Network ID Your zone name would
be "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa." though the Network ID is "192.168.1.x"

> On my client Xp machine DHCP gives to my adapter card folowing
> parameters:
>
> IP : 192.168.1.2
> Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Gateway:192.168.1.1
> DNS: 192.168.1.20
>
> ON both side Gateway adress is an ADSL modem router but I do not car
> about i for now.

Your router would be the gateway for all machines, it is the way out.

> SO based on that I geus that the client is configure properly as
> there is nothing mucg I can set here except thos IP settings given by
> DHCP
>
> From DNS server side, the reverse zone is the default one that you
> can see when you select from View - Advanced

Create the reverse lookup zone as per my previous recomendation.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

From what you say below I think maybe you are using nslookup incorrectly?

To perform a query against your default DNS server use:

nslookup foo.com

To perform a query against an arbitrary DNS server (1.1.1.1) use:

nslookup foo.com 1.1.1.1

It's possible I am misunderstanding you.

Also, make sure in the TCP/IP settings on your client that the only DNS
server IP address listed is the IP address of your DC. You must not specify
your ISP DNS servers on your client.

message news:4F1EE410-61E3-4F0B-A91E-C8FF04503908@microsoft.com...
> Even if the ping the full server name is working, the nslookup stiil
fails...

Be more specific please:

The nslookup of the FULL name fails when
the PING of the FULL name fails?

If that is the case, then the DNS server is not resolving the name
for the client, but rather the client is using one of the alternate
methods (or a different DNS server if the first one is not answering
at all):

(client DNS cache)
hosts file

NetBIOS methods
(NetBIOS cache/memory)
Broadcast (same subnet only)
WINS server
LMHosts file

The caches above are largely irrelevant since if that
were the source of the resolution it would need to come
originally from one of the other methods -- but do note that
NSLookup does bypass the DNS resolver client side cache.

--
Herb Martin

> [...]
> > > Mask: 255.255.255.0
> > > gateway: 198.168.1.1
> > > DNS ip: itself (127.0.0.1)
> > >
> > > On my client Xp machine DHCP gives to my adapter card folowing
parameters:

> > > IP : 192.168.1.2
> > > Mask: 255.255.255.0
> > > Gateway:192.168.1.1
> > > DNS: 192.168.1.20
> > >
> > > ON both side Gateway adress is an ADSL modem router but I do not car
about
> > i for now.
> > >
> > > SO based on that I geus that the client is configure properly as there
is
> > nothing mucg I can set here except thos IP settings given by DHCP
> > >
> > > From DNS server side, the reverse zone is the default one that you can
see
> > when you select from View - Advanced
> > >
> > > What could I check more from server side ?

In news:141BD03F-D4C5-4859-BDC8-7491DE8DB6AF@microsoft.com,
serge calderara in <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their
thoughts, then I offered mine
> Dear all,
>
> I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000
> server PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is
> confugure. Domain name is home.net.

<snip>

Can you give us an example of how you are using the nslookup command and the
results so we can see exactly what you mean by DNS not answering your
nslookup command? You can copy the result out of the cmd window into your
response to my post.

As for the other information, the others gave you good suggestions to handle
them.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup so all
can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

Can you also tell us what errors you are receving in the Event viewer
please? Post the Event ID #s please.

Ace

In news:141BD03F-D4C5-4859-BDC8-7491DE8DB6AF@microsoft.com,
serge calderara in <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their
thoughts, then I offered mine
> Dear all,
>
> I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000
> server PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is
> confugure. Domain name is home.net.
>
> Then I have a client PC running XP that I would like it to join that
> domain.
> From the client I can ping succesfully the DNS server IP, and DHCP is
> running fine.
>
> Problem I get is that when trying to join the domain is raise an
> error that it can nor found the domain.
>
> Then I run from the client command nslookup <my Server IP> 127.0.0.1
> and at that time DNS server fail to respond.
>
> DNS configuration is set with all default entries, and if I run the
> TEST querry inside DNS it PASS all of them
>
> ON my client PC I am Administrator
>
> Do I have to add my XP machine inside my Domain Controler ?
> Do I have to set a particular account to be able to joind the domain?
>
> What did I miss here ?
>
> Thnaks for your reply
> regards
> serge

I ham now able to register my XP machine to my Server Domain..
It was coming from the fact that I have set my primary DNS IP from my server side to local IP , like 127.0.0.1.

Accrodinmg to one post , it was recommended to place the IP adress of my server as DNS, so I place 192.168.1.20.

But base on the nslookup I udes it as follow:

nslookup 192.168.1.20, the result of the command is as follow :
*** can'find server name for adress 192.168.1.20:non existant domain
Server Unkown
Adress: 192.168.1.20

Name: WInd200Srvr.home.net
Adrees:192.168.1.20

SO for me its strage becasue it says first that doamain is non existant and after is able to retrieve DNS name at the end ?????

Note.: In previous post it was suggest to add a reverse zone like 1.168.1. but with of without this revers e zone it is the same result.

Sorry for those beginners questions but I am quite new in this server stuff

thnaks for your answer
regards
serge

In news:236FAD44-592C-4D7B-97C6-48EF481B1FA6@microsoft.com,
serge calderara <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> nslookup 192.168.1.20, the result of the command is as follow :
> *** can'find server name for adress 192.168.1.20:non existant domain
> Server Unkown
> Adress: 192.168.1.20
>
> Name: WInd200Srvr.home.net
> Adrees:192.168.1.20
>
> SO for me its strage becasue it says first that doamain is non
> existant and after is able to retrieve DNS name at the end ?????
>
> Note.: In previous post it was suggest to add a reverse zone like
> 1.168.1. but with of without this revers e zone it is the same
> result.

I suggested you create a reverse lookup zone but, not with that name, the
zone you created will not work. Recreate the zone with this name:
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
or this Network ID:
192.168.1

Set it to allow dynamic updates or create the PTRs for the machines you want
in the Reverse lookup.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

In news:236FAD44-592C-4D7B-97C6-48EF481B1FA6@microsoft.com,
serge calderara in <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their
thoughts, then I offered mine
> I ham now able to register my XP machine to my Server Domain..
> It was coming from the fact that I have set my primary DNS IP from my
> server side to local IP , like 127.0.0.1.
>
> Accrodinmg to one post , it was recommended to place the IP adress of
> my server as DNS, so I place 192.168.1.20.
>
> But base on the nslookup I udes it as follow:
>
> nslookup 192.168.1.20, the result of the command is as follow :
> *** can'find server name for adress 192.168.1.20:non existant domain
> Server Unkown
> Adress: 192.168.1.20
>
> Name: WInd200Srvr.home.net
> Adrees:192.168.1.20
>
> SO for me its strage becasue it says first that doamain is non
> existant and after is able to retrieve DNS name at the end ?????
>
> Note.: In previous post it was suggest to add a reverse zone like
> 1.168.1. but with of without this revers e zone it is the same
> result.
>
> Sorry for those beginners questions but I am quite new in this server
> stuff
>
> thnaks for your answer
> regards
> serge

To eliminate the nslookup message, create a reverse zone.