[SOLVED] DNS server not responding. Can't get online. Tried multiple routers.

Aug 27, 2020
Please if you can help me. I know it not my computer issue because I have 5 devices and all give me same error. 1 desktop, 2 laptops, a kindle and a phone. NONE can online.

Problem. Internet was all dandy and happy until few days ago suddenly out of no where I can't go online. It giving me the [[ DNS server not responding. trying to use a DNS server that is doesn't exist (I guess router?). And DNS temporary something problem with the DNS domain name. ]]

Basically my router can't connect to a DNS.

So I test it, I unplug the broadband from my router and plug that broadband 'directly' to the back of my computer, and BAM, I get online immediately.

Tech on the phone do line test and everything was good on their side, so they think my router probably just worn out, due to if I plug the broadband directly to my computer it works!

So they send me a brand new router.

Plug in brand new router, BAM, same exact problem. Same error message, DNS not response, something about DSN domain name, etc...

ok and this is a brand new router, so I'm super confuse. What is exactly is the problem then? Brand new router give the exact same error as the old router.

No, I don't want to use Google DNS please, it not secure.

Please if anyone can help me get back online?

Or I guess I have to wait till Monday for the tech to come? At this point I'm begining to think it the DNS with my ISP have problem, because it my ISP that give me the DNS right? But then that super weird too because when I plug the broadband directly to the back of my computer it let me online immediately. Don't broadband plug in back of computer also use DNS?

Yes network reset has been try. change multiple routers has been try, brand new one. reset back button of router multiple times.

Try all that above, but all 5 of my devices can't go online due to DNS error message not recognize not responsding.

Solution
May I ask, if the broadband plug directly into the back of my computer, it also required a DNS right? Because I am able to online that way, just as long as it a direct plug in.
Yes, you always have to have a DNS. You can manually test a different DNS by changing your PC from getting the DNS from the router -- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10
To test, manually put Google DNS -- 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 into the DNS entries.
That will override ANYTHING your router does for DNS.
Aug 27, 2020
Thank you Sir.

I mean I don't mind use like a Google DNS if all else fail. I'm just trying to figure out why the sudden problem occur like out of no where (happens few days ago ever since).

I thought if I pay my ISP internet provider, they provide me with their DNS (which secure). I mean isn't that their job to provide me with an DNS automatically through their internet?

Right now I can online, just as long as I plug the broadband directly straight to the back of my computer. But then I only can use Ethernet one port only, no wifi.
With the router I can use multiple Ethernet port and wifi for my kindle, phones and laptop.

It just for some reason the router not picking up DNS and DNS can't pick up an IP.

We thought it was the router so I got send a brand new router, but still the exact same thing.

So now I not even sure what the problem anymore.

I don't understand, may I ask you. So if I plug the broadband DIRECTLY into my computer desktop LAN port, it still use a DNS right? Because it work perfectly, online no problem.

It just when I plug the broadband to the router port, DNS not response/DNS have trouble find IP. Even with a brand new router and we try 3 different routers, same exact error no DNS.

How can this be possible? It just so weird. Or is DNS only happen when it "router/modem"?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
With the information that it works reliably with a direct connect, I wonder if it is an IPv6 problem or something like that.
With the router connected to the ISP and your PC connected to the router, run cmd.exe (command window) and run the command ipconifg.exe /all
Post the output.

Reactions: ThankYouSir
Aug 27, 2020
Thank you Sir. I also try Safe Mode reboot with Networking. And still can't online, same exact error said DNS not response. temporary failure in DNS name resolution. Whatever that means (sorry I'm not computer savy).

If Safe Mode with networking still same error message then it not my firewall or Window defender antivirus then.

May I ask, if the broadband plug directly into the back of my computer, it also required a DNS right? Because I am able to online that way, just as long as it a direct plug in.

To the router? ugh...... total different story, nothing can be online.

ok I go post the ipconifg.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes, you always have to have a DNS. You can manually test a different DNS by changing your PC from getting the DNS from the router -- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10
To test, manually put Google DNS -- 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 into the DNS entries.
That will override ANYTHING your router does for DNS.

Reactions: ThankYouSir
Solution
Aug 27, 2020
Then it make no sense Sir. If a direct plug into the back of my computer got me a DNS and IP.
Then why do a plug into my router DNS not reponse and can't find IP?
A router is still the same right? It just router give you more LAN port and wifi.
It just so weird.

And we try 2 routers, plus a brand new just open out of the box router. All 3 still can't find DNS.

But then plug in back of computer can find DNS. Weirddddd

Here is the config you ask for.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a1b3:166e%5(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.14(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 27, 2020 6:11:24 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 27, 2020 10:11:23 AM

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 167236
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-2F-5C-26-0D-6C

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Then it make no sense Sir. If a direct plug into the back of my computer got me a DNS and IP.
Then why do a plug into my router DNS not reponse and can't find IP?
A router is still the same right? It just router give you more LAN port and wifi.
It just so weird.

And we try 2 routers, plus a brand new just open out of the box router. All 3 still can't find DNS.

But then plug in back of computer can find DNS. Weirddddd

Here is the config you ask for.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a1b3:166e%5(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.14(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 27, 2020 6:11:24 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 27, 2020 10:11:23 AM

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 167236
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-2F-5C-26-0D-6C

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN
NOTICE the one thing missing in that output? A DNS server definition. Normally there would be an entry under the ethernet adapter that would list the DNS servers. I don't know WHY you don't have that. Check your IPv4 properties -- like I linked above to see if the "obtain DNS servers" automatically is checked.

Aug 27, 2020
Yes both DNS IPv4 and IPv6 are automatic obtain IP, automatic obtain DNS too.

The thing is my internet been fine for 10 years I'm with this company. It just started happened few days ago.

And I also run Safemode with networking and I still can't get on internet. If it was some setting or software, Safemode with networking should let me online

yeah I have that. Is this it?

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . :

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Yes both DNS IPv4 and IPv6 are automatic obtain IP, automatic obtain DNS too.

The thing is my internet been fine for 10 years I'm with this company. It just started happened few days ago.

And I also run Safemode with networking and I still can't get on internet. If it was some setting or software, Safemode with networking should let me online
To completely rule out software, you can us a portable Linux OS. Boot off a USB drive. That will completely eliminate Windows.

Aug 27, 2020
I don't have Linux. I can go try boot off USB drive.

How can it be software when SafeMode in Networking also WON'T let me online? I thought Safemode is disable any software?

And how can it be software when all 5 of my devices can't online?

Both my laptops has no software, beside IE to online. Not even antivirus.

My desktop has software but I use this internet for 10 years with it and it never have problem. Until recently.

The thing is with the router, because the router has multiple LAN that I can connect to both my desktop and laptops. So if one can't online, the rest can't, due to it the same router.

But then we change routers already too, brand new one.

Aug 27, 2020
It not software or my computer. Because I went to the router web management configuration interface. And ALL 3 routers show this error.

DNS Server 1: Temporary failure in name resolution
DNS Server 2: Temporary failure in name resolution.

Same exact error for all 3 routers. So it can't be my computer.

I'm thinking it the ISP problem. But if it is then how can I able to go online if I plug the broadband straight to back my computer? Like you say, that use DNS too.

kanewolf

Titan
It not software or my computer. Because I went to the router web management configuration interface. And ALL 3 routers show this error.

DNS Server 1: Temporary failure in name resolution
DNS Server 2: Temporary failure in name resolution.

Same exact error for all 3 routers. So it can't be my computer.

I'm thinking it the ISP problem. But if it is then how can I able to go online if I plug the broadband straight to back my computer? Like you say, that use DNS too.
MANUALLY put Google DNS servers into the router config. I recommend you do that in answer #2 ...

Aug 27, 2020
Thank you Sir. Will do that if everything else fail. I wait for a tech come to my house on Monday and see if it can be fix. Not sure what the tech can do.

I didn't want the Google DNS right now due to what is the point of use when I pay like $60 a month for the internet? It my internet job to give me a DS, not have to use a google one.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you Sir. Will do that if everything else fail. I wait for a tech come to my house on Monday and see if it can be fix. Not sure what the tech can do.

I didn't want the Google DNS right now due to what is the point of use when I pay like $60 a month for the internet? It my internet job to give me a DS, not have to use a google one.
Usually Google DNS responds faster than your ISP.