Question Dns server not responding, tried everything.

Jul 28, 2020
So I have the dreaded dns server not responding, my connection is hardwired with an Ethernet cable and I’ve troubleshooted literally everything. Reset router, clean install windows , change dns to google public 8.8.8.8, changed all sorts of settings, installed new drivers rolled new drivers back. At my wits end.

I can post additional specs if need be but the weird thing is even with the error I can connect to browsers and play video games but the connection is really slow and sometimes it dcs. I’ve tried a wifi USB adapter and same issue, changing to google dns clears the error in the troubleshooter but I still dc randomly, I’ve flushed dns , called isp , literally all the tricks.
My next attempt will be to flash new bios, and do a clean install of windows from a usb ? Idk if the bios will help at all but want to post here before I go through that potentially mobo wreckin process to see if anyone else has any tips or tricks. Thanks for your time and knowledge!

It is not likely a bios or windows problem. You can test using a Linux boot image without hurting your windows install.

That DNS error is really stupid. All it means is the DNS server did not respond BUT it can be because there is a DNS problem or it can be because the internet is completely down and all servers are not responding

I would leave a ping run to 8.8.8.8 in a background window and see if you get loss.

You can also try a manual NSLOOKUP command to see if DNS is really working.

You might try to set the 8.8.8.8 IP directly in your machine nic settings. The default is to use your router as a proxy/cache for the dns server and sometimes that has bugs.

If you see problems in the ping you likely should be looking into why your internet connection itself is not stable.

Jul 28, 2020
So I did an actual clean install of windows from usb , no luck.

I also changed dns servers to 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4 and ran a ping to 8.8.8.8 and more than half the time it timed out , when I tried to ping my IP address using that dns it just said request time out didn’t ping at all .
Idk what else to do , I’ve called the isp and they said everything looks fine from their side that it’s my PC but I’m not sure I believe them seeing as it was working fine then the next day it wasn’t, I had updated windows but I’ve already tried rolling back updates to see if that did it, nothing.
Any more suggestions ?

I might try the Linux boot but I’m not sure what I’m supposed to test once I get that booted, also is there a website for downloading that?
Thanks,

luke

kanewolf

Titan
So I did an actual clean install of windows from usb , no luck.

I also changed dns servers to 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4 and ran a ping to 8.8.8.8 and more than half the time it timed out , when I tried to ping my IP address using that dns it just said request time out didn’t ping at all .
Idk what else to do , I’ve called the isp and they said everything looks fine from their side that it’s my PC but I’m not sure I believe them seeing as it was working fine then the next day it wasn’t, I had updated windows but I’ve already tried rolling back updates to see if that did it, nothing.
Any more suggestions ?

I might try the Linux boot but I’m not sure what I’m supposed to test once I get that booted, also is there a website for downloading that?
Thanks,

luke
You need to add a ping window to your gateway IP address (router). You need to determine if the link to the router is bad or the link out of the router is a problem.

Jul 28, 2020
when I ping my default gateway it times out almost everytime. Without fail that's using auto DHCP... same thing using usb wifi adapter. It wont even let me run NSLOOKUP, even when changing the dns server to something public and then flushing dns and reset winsock all that , NSLOOKUP fails.

Last edited: