Question DNS Server Unavailable?

gibbywmu

Honorable
Dec 17, 2014
Hi All,

My work PC is Windows 10, my HTPC Intel NUC has Windows 7. I've always been able to transfer files back to my HTPC until recently. Suddenly when trying to connect to my HTPC from my work Windows PC, I keep getting errors that are "Your DNS server might be unavailable". I'm not sure if this issue resides on the Windows 10 PC or the WIndows 7 PC? Everything I've stumbled on for the fix seems doesn't seem to work. They are all solutions for visiting webpages and getting that error, which I'm not having. Each PC can connect to the internet just fine, I just can't connect to the 2nd PC from the 1st. No idea what to do. Should I just upgrade the HTPC computer so they are both running Windows 10?

Here are some responses and a recent reply on another forum....this issue is driving me nuts! Now I have to use Teamviewer to even network share files (mainly one way, Work PC to HTPC for mediam streaming). The Teamviewer transferring is so much slower....ugh...

Win7 Home or Pro or Win10 Home or Pro? - Win 10 Pro on both Work PC and HTPC
File and Printer Sharing turned on for both PC's? and for all profiles? (Private, Guest, Domain and All) - Yes, today I made sure to turn on all for both PC's. Didn't help :(
is the work PC and home PC at different locations? - No, same location. Both within my house on the same router.
both PC's have logon passwords? - Work PC yes, HTPC no.
you know the IP address of each PC and can PING each others address? - Yes, and I can ping back and forth with no packet losses.
you have shared out a folder with Everyone and set security permission to Full Control? - Not sure how to access this.......but if I did not mention, the folder sharing was working fine for several years until recently. I received this work PC back in September and everything had been working fine until the past month or so. No idea what changed. I have not changed anything. As you can see from the screenshot, you can see my HTPC on the network, but I constantly get the error.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dKFfd5cqgNeNRmAt5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ct4Lf9tmXaiztLav9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAtctmFgXJCrjHBV9

gibbywmu

Honorable
Dec 17, 2014
Yes, they are both on the same home network. I've tried flushing the dns on both Work PC and the HTPC, no change. Also have rebooted the router several times. The router is a newer Orbi router and has been working fine. I'm almost to the point of giving up. I have NO idea what is going on. Why can I ping both computers from one another but can't access a simple folder! So frustrating. For now I'm just going to have to transfer files via Teamviewer instead of over the local network.

gibbywmu

Honorable
Dec 17, 2014
Try to open the device using the IP address. If you can ping it you have a communication path.

It technically is not using DNS to find IP between machines inside your house. It is using some microsoft network discovery stuff.

I just tried this, and it doesn't work. Still can't connect. I'm thinking it has to do with the security on my work PC (although it worked a few weeks ago and I haven't changed anything).

So I just performed another test. I took an older Dell computer (a home pc I had laying around) w/ Windows 7 on it, went to "My Computer" on the desktop, and could see my HTPC computer. Double clicked and boom.......I was able to get in w/ no DNS issues. There is some issue causing this on my work PC. Now, my work PC is on another domain I believe. This was set up at my corporate office so not sure how they do it. All I know is that it had been able to connect to my HTPC before, but suddenly for some reason it can't. :(.

Should I just try resetting the network adapter on my work PC?

Last edited: