[SOLVED] DNS servers lag for a few seconds before responding

Sep 5, 2019
I am extremely puzzled and can't figure out what the problem is and how to fix it.

Basically, a few week ago I started getting an issue where chrome would hang when going into a new website (e.g youtube.com). During the loading it also displayed a message in the lower right corner which said: "Resolving host" or "waiting for websitename.com". This also affects other applications like Discord and Steam. Sometimes when I enter the websites name it instantly redirects me to it as it should, but after about 10 seconds it will still hang. It's always happening and it's really slowing down my browsing speed. A simple google search would require 30 seconds. Other devices on the network do not have such problem and I think there is a configuration error in my PC
I have tried numerous fixes on the internet but couldn't find a single solution to my problem. What I've tried before posting here:
  1. Flushed dns
  2. Changed dns to automatically detect (had it on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 before). This didn't work and I changed it back to google's dns
  3. Rebooted router
  4. Reset router
I have tried pinging websites with command prompt and saw no bad results. Pings resulted in consistent speeds and didn't fluctuate a bit. What's even more puzzling is that when in a voice chat in Discord the chat doesn't lag. I can talk and hear perfectly without stop. Although fetching the chat data is also slow. Pictures take 20 seconds to load, internet speed is fast enough for them to load instantly though. Hosting a game server also doesn't seem to present an issue, my friends can still play on my Terraria server without interruption.

If you have ever experienced this before or know how to fix this, please, let me know. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Solution
The linux is a bootable image you copy to a dvd or usb stick and then tell the bios in your machine to boot that instead of your hard drive. The images are not real fancy but they have basic web browsers pre installed and come up with a desktop that you can just click on it.

The only reason I suggest the unix boot is you are getting close to the recommendation is going to be to reinstall windows. There likely is some setting in windows or maybe some program loaded causing the issue. Finding that is going to be pure luck.

What would be really bad is you go to the trouble of reinstalling windows and the problem still persists. That would point to some hardware issue with the machine. It would be a extremely strange hardware...
8.8.8.8 is a google dns so I don't know what you change it "back" to.

Have you tried this on a different web browser. Chrome has been pushing out encrypted DNS but I did not think they turned it on by default. It has caused issues in some patches but they fix the one I knew about.

You can also try 1.1.1.1 for your DNS and see if it makes any difference.

Be sure to change the DNS setting in your PC and not in your router. Many times issues with DNS are due to the proxy function in the router.

Sep 5, 2019
8.8.8.8 is a google dns so I don't know what you change it "back" to.

Have you tried this on a different web browser. Chrome has been pushing out encrypted DNS but I did not think they turned it on by default. It has caused issues in some patches but they fix the one I knew about.

You can also try 1.1.1.1 for your DNS and see if it makes any difference.

Be sure to change the DNS setting in your PC and not in your router. Many times issues with DNS are due to the proxy function in the router.
I meant to say that originally I had it on 8.8.8.8 and changed it to automatically detect dns server and then when I saw that it didn't fix anything changed it again to 8.8.8.8

I've tried Edge and Firefox and the same problem persists. Apps like Discord and Steam are slow to fetch data like messages and images too so I doubt it's a singular browser problem.

I will try settings 1.1.1.1 for DNS and update the post later on.

Edit: after changing the dns, I immediately noticed that the problem went away. Why would 8.8.8.8 be slow but 1.1.1.1 solve the issue?

Edit 2: Nope, issue still persists. Definitely nothing wrong with the DNS servers I choose and probably something wrong with my PC, any ideas?

Last edited:
You can try nslookup commands from the cmd prompt to see if you see actual delays in the DNS. Be very sure to check that you see the correct server. If you ISP forces a intercept of DNS you might see their dns even when you attempt to use cloudflare 1.1.1.1. You could in those cases actually use the encrypted DNS options in the browser which hides the traffic as though it is https.

If it is not a actual DNS issues it is harder to find. Try running constant ping to the dns servers IP. Maybe you are losing data only to certain locations.

Your best test for software issues is to use a linux boot image and run off that. You should be able to test a lot of things without impacting your current install. Finding actual issues in windows is a huge pain.

Sep 5, 2019
You can try nslookup commands from the cmd prompt to see if you see actual delays in the DNS. Be very sure to check that you see the correct server. If you ISP forces a intercept of DNS you might see their dns even when you attempt to use cloudflare 1.1.1.1. You could in those cases actually use the encrypted DNS options in the browser which hides the traffic as though it is https.

If it is not a actual DNS issues it is harder to find. Try running constant ping to the dns servers IP. Maybe you are losing data only to certain locations.

Your best test for software issues is to use a linux boot image and run off that. You should be able to test a lot of things without impacting your current install. Finding actual issues in windows is a huge pain.
I tried nslookup and didn't see any delays in the DNS response. And I don't know how to do stuff on linux so I can't test it on that

The linux is a bootable image you copy to a dvd or usb stick and then tell the bios in your machine to boot that instead of your hard drive. The images are not real fancy but they have basic web browsers pre installed and come up with a desktop that you can just click on it.

The only reason I suggest the unix boot is you are getting close to the recommendation is going to be to reinstall windows. There likely is some setting in windows or maybe some program loaded causing the issue. Finding that is going to be pure luck.

What would be really bad is you go to the trouble of reinstalling windows and the problem still persists. That would point to some hardware issue with the machine. It would be a extremely strange hardware issue that only affected dns.

Solution