[SOLVED] DNS Servers Losing Connection

Sep 3, 2019
For some odd reason for these past few weeks my router has been losing it's connection to the DNS servers. My ISP oddly doesn't provide any DNS servers so we're forced to use a third party. Originally we were using googles (8.8.8.8), and we were dropping our DNS servers almost daily multiple times a day. Windows diagnostic says that the DNS server is not responding so I decided to look for a new one. I recently just switched to cloudflares (1.1.1.1) which is overall faster and I like the speeds better. Yet we are still dropping the DNS servers. My router is configured to work on these DNS servers but I keep dropping them. If I go in and re-plug my router everything will go back to normal. Help?

If you are rebooting the router and not the modem I would strongly suspect a bad router. If it is a cable modem many have log messages that will tell you if you loose the internet. There should also be screens that give you things like power level you can check to see if there is any issue with the signals coming to your house.

I would try to plug directly into the modem which will show if it is the router. You might have to reboot the modem everytime you change what is plugged into it.

Make sure you have the dns in the PC nic settings and not using the router as a cache. You can either do this via DHCP or you can hard code it in the pc. The router cache function is a very common cause of this problem.

The problem is windows will tell you the DNS is down when the internet connection drops. Of course DNS is down if everything else is down. If the outages are short you may not notice.

You can test dns function with the NSLOOKUP command. You can easily change DNS by putting it on the end of the command. Sometimes the browser has issues and blames it on the DNS when the DNS is fine.

Sep 3, 2019
Make sure you have the dns in the PC nic settings and not using the router as a cache.
Now how would one do that? Never really done something like that before.

The outages are not short, if I don't re-plug my router then it could be out for over 24 hours,

Sep 3, 2019
Look in the ipv4 settings on the nic and key the DNS server you want to use in the bottom of the screen. Leave the IP address etc as automatic.

If they are long outages just type in
NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com 8.8.8.8

If that works then it is likely a cache issue
Did the NSLookup, I had no errors and everything came back almost immediately. You said this might be a cache issue, how do I fix that. I also changed my DNS servers on my IPV4 to the 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 so now that is good.

The way most consumer routers work is they give your pc the IP address of the router to be the DNS server. The router then acts a proxy to the real dns server. It is pretty common for this feature to cause issues.

When you hard code it like you have your pc directly talks to the dns server. Any issues would be network outages or maybe issue with the pc. Generally if it is a network issue you will not be able to ping the dns server and the NSLOOKUP command will timeout.

Sep 3, 2019
I'm not quite understanding, is there a definite way to solve this issue because when it comes to networking i'm pretty dumb. I don't understand that much about it. If there is a way to solve this issue could you provide a step by step guide?

Sep 3, 2019
It actually just happened again, i'm watching Netflix and all of a sudden I get the caution thing over my ethernet. I do a troubleshoot and it says "DNS Server is not responding". I tried to use my phone to google something on the wifi and it was completely off. Sure enough when I unplugged the power from my wifi and plugged it back in everything goes back to normal. This is starting to get very annoying.

This is looking more like a router failure. I will assume the modem and router are in the same box. You might try plugging into the modem directly if you have a separate modem but when it does not happen a lot it may not get tedious.

It could also be the internet is going down and resetting the equipment resets the line. Still modems normally just reset the line by themselves if they detect a problem. You get short outages not something you have to reboot equipment for.

Netflix once it is up and running does not use DNS....neither do most other applications. So the DNS issues is just a symptom of a different problem.

Sep 3, 2019
We have 2 separate boxes, we have the router and a modem in different boxes. It only rarely happens on websites. 99% of the time it happens when i'm on games.

If you are rebooting the router and not the modem I would strongly suspect a bad router. If it is a cable modem many have log messages that will tell you if you loose the internet. There should also be screens that give you things like power level you can check to see if there is any issue with the signals coming to your house.

I would try to plug directly into the modem which will show if it is the router. You might have to reboot the modem everytime you change what is plugged into it.

Sep 3, 2019

Yes, we do get logs for when the internet disconnects and it says "internet disconnected" as soon as I get the DNS problems, and it says "Internet Connected" when I re-plug my router. I believe it's a faulty router. It's 6+ years old and it's starting to run very hot.

Sep 3, 2019
I'm gonna mark one of your answers as best answers. Thanks for the help that you have given me in my multiple posts. If you'd like to respond again go ahead but i'm 99% sure it's a bad router.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS