dns setup in 2000 network

I have a network with this setup:

Router - 192.168.0.1
Windows 2000 Server - 192.168.0.2
Clients - 192.168.0.10 +

All clients are XP or 2000. The network is a domain.

Currently, here are the client network settings (ipconfig /all):

IP Address - 192.168.0.x
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers- 24.something.something.something
24.something.something.something
192.168.0.2

My question is - is the DNS in the above correct? I am particularly
concerned about the first two IP addresses, which are the DNS servers
of the ISP. Are they necessary? If not, should I simply point to the
server's IP address for DNS?

Note - The Server does not handle Internet access.

Thanks

Oscar

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

The two ISP dns servers need to be configured as the
forwarders in your DNS settings.

In your DNS properties, Enable Forwarders and add both
ISP dns server IPs.

On 13 Jul 2004 06:07:19 -0700, philip@wesselconsulting.com (Phil
Matish, MCSE) wrote:

>I have a network with this setup:
>
>Router - 192.168.0.1
>Windows 2000 Server - 192.168.0.2
>Clients - 192.168.0.10 +
>
>All clients are XP or 2000. The network is a domain.
>
>Currently, here are the client network settings (ipconfig /all):
>

>IP Address - 192.168.0.x
>Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
>Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1
>DNS Servers- 24.something.something.something
> 24.something.something.something
> 192.168.0.2
>
>My question is - is the DNS in the above correct? I am particularly
>concerned about the first two IP addresses, which are the DNS servers
>of the ISP. Are they necessary? If not, should I simply point to the
>server's IP address for DNS?
>
>Note - The Server does not handle Internet access.

Point all clients to the internal DNS only, set your internal DNS to
forward to your ISP's for any unresolved queries outside your zone.

Jeff