DNS, website resolve question.

Greg

I have a domain setup with a DNS and Web server.
I run my website on port 5209. So far I have an
outside DNS service that redirects to that port so
getting to my website from the outside works fine.
Although I want to put a record in my DNS server so
that I can get to it from the inside.

What kind of record do I have to put in my DNS server
and how do I configure it to port other than 80 so I can
resolve it from the inside?

Thanks

obiwan

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

> What kind of record do I have to put in my DNS server
> and how do I configure it to port other than 80 so I can
> resolve it from the inside?

The DNS only handles names <-> addresses resolution
it doesn't know/handle ports; what you'll need is an URL
redirection to forward requests to the correct port

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:28:01 -0700, "Greg"
<Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a domain setup with a DNS and Web server.
>I run my website on port 5209. So far I have an
>outside DNS service that redirects to that port so
>getting to my website from the outside works fine.
>Although I want to put a record in my DNS server so
>that I can get to it from the inside.
>
>What kind of record do I have to put in my DNS server
>and how do I configure it to port other than 80 so I can
>resolve it from the inside?

You have to specify the port in the URL, there is no provision for
ports in DNS.

Jeff

G> I have an outside DNS service that redirects to [port 5209]

No, you haven't. The DNS does not perform this function. This is why this ...

G> I want to put a record in my DNS server so that I can get
G> to [my HTTP server on the unusual port] from the inside.

.... is impossible.

Look at what you have in place for your web site again, paying closer attention
to detail this time so that you see exactly *what* is doing the redirection.
That will show you what you need to do, and where you need to do it, to achieve
your desired goal.