[SOLVED] Do 2 DRAM-less SSDs in RAID0 perform better than a single SSD which has DRAM ?

hmtxamser

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
My computer specs: HP SFF 8300 with 16gb ram, an i7-3770, RX460, a cheap 360gb SSD from a Chinese brand called Kingfast (def it has no dram inside)
It runs Windows 10 with only 1 or 2 applications that launch on startup.

I use it mostly for casual tasks like web browsing, online studying. Sometimes i play soft games like CS:GO, Need for Speed...
Its performance is acceptable (boot/launch time is way faster than a traditional hard drive) but nowhere near modern computers. Personally I think it's not responsive as it takes about 3-4 seconds to launch Edge and other applications.
I guess the SSD is bottlenecking the system so i'm looking forward to replace it in the future. But as this machine is getting old, i don't want to spend much on so it lefts me with 2 options:
-An 250gb SSD which has DRAM inside
-2 128gb DRAM-less SSDs in RAID

Which option is the go-to and will the upgrade help my computer running faster? I want to replicate (not perfectly ofc)the near-"instant" experience from my new laptop that has better hardware.

Solution
Where DRAMless SSDs run into trouble are data requests for small amounts of data, which is basically 90%+ of all read operations. If this review is anything to go by, DRAMless SSDs can be outperformed by SSDs with DRAM in this use case by up to 5 times.

Also DRAMless SSDs aren't just cheap because they lack DRAM. Especially if they're from a no-name brand.
Where DRAMless SSDs run into trouble are data requests for small amounts of data, which is basically 90%+ of all read operations. If this review is anything to go by, DRAMless SSDs can be outperformed by SSDs with DRAM in this use case by up to 5 times.

Also DRAMless SSDs aren't just cheap because they lack DRAM. Especially if they're from a no-name brand.

Solution