Do 3.5mm Y-Splitters Reduce Quality?

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
hello!

i want to use a 3.5mm y-splitter so i could use both my headset and sound system at the same time. the headset's gotta microphone that i wanna use and it will only connect to both audio in/out by disconnecting my sound system. i figured getting a splitter would solve my problem, but one thing keeping me back is will it take away the quality of my sound system?

thanks!
-xae

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Just make sure to remove the head phone when not in use because increasing the volume while the headphone still plug-in might damage the diaphragm. Slight signal fade if both are plug-in but barely noticeable.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I use a y splitter, works perfect. No problems. Though you may want to consider unplugging your headphones when not using them, or get some with an inline volume control and turn it down when your not using them.

Some onboard(realtek ones) sound cards will do 2 outputs without any loss....so you could have the sound system on the back and headphones on the front....there are options to stop it from muting the back panel.

Why do you want to use both at the same time?
Why not just plug the headphones into the sound system(i assume stereo system that has a headphone jack.)

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
i see, thanks for your helpful tips.

to answer your question, the main use for my headset is the mic. my sound system DOES have an audio out jack that is very handy, but no slot audio in for my microphone. i guess i will use a splitter temporarily. im planning to get a new sound card anyway, ill definitely look for one with two audio outs. thanks for that tip again. i dont get an independent mic because they tend to get in the way.

i have a volume controller on the headset, i was wondering if it would be okay to just turn the volume off and the mic off when not using the head set. the whole point of the splitter is so that i dont have to reach around the back really.

thanks!

Are you saying you want to be able to swap the speakers(sound system) and headset(just the earphones) in an easy fashion?

If you are not running surround sound you can use a switch like this. Radioshack also sells them under another name
http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=ComputerSpeakers&product=2600204

Also for the mic, you can just use an extension cable to leave it plugged in all the time that would allow the headphone plug to be near the sound system for easy plugging...

I am a mspaint artist :p
headsetvz1.gif

I have this, but with computer speakers. and i never plug in the headphones. the extension for me is just to make the mic cable longer.