Do 32 vs 24 channels for modem matter for 100 meg connection?

Aug 25, 2018
I've heard that having more channels is like having more lanes to handle cable internet traffic... but usually 32 channels modems are promoted / suggested for 1 gig internet services.

My question is - will buying a higher channel modem improve performance overall despite only having on average 120 download rates? I'm not looking for a faster connection, but a more reliable one. Sometimes when playing games in VR, my connection drops for a few seconds which can drop me from my game.

If more channels = more reliability (even lower latency), then I'm all for it.

My current modem is an Arris 24 channel modem that is rented from Cox. I'm going to buy one to stop paying monthly rental fees... so I'm debating what to buy for my needs

Solution
It won't matter if you got 100 channels and the isp only uses 4. This is why you need to see what modems the ISP recommends for where you live.

From what i have seen most ISP do not fully utilize the abilities of the modems. I suspect they would rather run at a lower encoding rate and get something stable than push the limits and get something that has issues.

Look at the logs and status pages in your modem. You should see message if the connection actually drops, you will also see lots of errors if the quality is poor. Sometime it is just poor signal levels so verify yours are withing the recommended levels......this is something you need to search to get the table the values are a bit different based on what encoding is being...
More channels doesn't guarantee you better experience.

With interactive gaming, upload bandwidth is as important as download.

You not doing WIFI I assume, every serious gamers knows that.

The drops can simply means the server you are talking to is too busy. and nothing u can do about it.

When buying new modem, u gotta do diligent research. I got myself an Arris 6190 32 channels, just to find out later about its PUMA DEFECT.

It won't matter if you got 100 channels and the isp only uses 4. This is why you need to see what modems the ISP recommends for where you live.

From what i have seen most ISP do not fully utilize the abilities of the modems. I suspect they would rather run at a lower encoding rate and get something stable than push the limits and get something that has issues.

Look at the logs and status pages in your modem. You should see message if the connection actually drops, you will also see lots of errors if the quality is poor. Sometime it is just poor signal levels so verify yours are withing the recommended levels......this is something you need to search to get the table the values are a bit different based on what encoding is being used.

Solution