do 4k monitors that say they have a 10bit panel just have 8bit+frc?

kamikazilucas

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
ive been looking for a 4k monitor to be recently and I found a good one, but it says it only has a 8bit+frc panel .this confuses me as many first gen and monitors now have 10 bit panels, so im woundering if all these monitors that say they have true 10 bit panels just have 8 bit plus frc,

Solution
It varies from panel series to series. there are some true 10bit displays, however they are geared specifically for professional usage so generally not found in price ranges prosumers and regular users will pay. further on top of that, unless your running a Quadro or FirePro card, your GPU can only output a 8bit signal... i should add though, that a 10bit (8bit + FRC) panel should calibrate better than a flat out 8bit display as they normally include a 10bit or greater LUT.

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
It varies from panel series to series. there are some true 10bit displays, however they are geared specifically for professional usage so generally not found in price ranges prosumers and regular users will pay. further on top of that, unless your running a Quadro or FirePro card, your GPU can only output a 8bit signal... i should add though, that a 10bit (8bit + FRC) panel should calibrate better than a flat out 8bit display as they normally include a 10bit or greater LUT.

Solution