Do 5.25 Floppy Drives Work With Current Gigabyte Motherboa..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Hi,

Has anybody successfully installed a 5.25" 360k floppy drive on a
current Gigabyte motherboard?

I have tried using a tested Sankyo 360k drive and cable with no luck so
far, (using a Gigabyte K8 Triton Series GA-K8NSNXP-939 Motherboard with
NForce 3 Chipset and Award BIOS 6).

I have tried all combinations of floppy cable positions, drive number
(i.e. 0,1), and HM/HS jumper settings (whatever these are). The best I
get is the floppy's LED lighting during POST/disk access and the drive
spinning. Any attempt to format DS/DD 5.25 disks from windows XP
results in 'No Disk In Drive' when there most certainly is! Apart from
an initial 'clunk' I also never hear any head movement. I have
correctly set the BIOS A: drive to 360k, I notice too that the BIOS
only seems to support one floppy drive.

Any help or guidance appreciated.

Regards,

Simon

"" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anybody successfully installed a 5.25" 360k floppy drive
> on a
> current Gigabyte motherboard?
>

> I have tried using a tested Sankyo 360k drive and cable with
> no luck so
> far, (using a Gigabyte K8 Triton Series GA-K8NSNXP-939
> Motherboard with
> NForce 3 Chipset and Award BIOS 6).
>

> I have tried all combinations of floppy cable positions, drive
> number
> (i.e. 0,1), and HM/HS jumper settings (whatever these are).
> The best I
> get is the floppy's LED lighting during POST/disk access and
> the drive
> spinning. Any attempt to format DS/DD 5.25 disks from windows
> XP
> results in 'No Disk In Drive' when there most certainly is!
> Apart from
> an initial 'clunk' I also never hear any head movement. I have
> correctly set the BIOS A: drive to 360k, I notice too that the
> BIOS
> only seems to support one floppy drive.
>

> Any help or guidance appreciated.
>

> Regards,
>

> Simon

No it wont work as 5.25 floppy drive is very old so you cant use it

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-25-Floppy-Drives-Work-Current-Motherboards-ftopict59759.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=304356

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:46:49 +0100, "Simon Rear"
<replytonewsgrouponly.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Has anybody successfully installed a 5.25" 360k floppy drive on a
>current Gigabyte motherboard?

<snip>

5.25" floppy drive works on my 8IEXP but that is not "current"
(2-3 years old). Now that I think about it, my 5.25" floppy
drive is a 1.2MB unit. It can read 360KB disks but is not ideal
for writing them because of the difference in track width.

Just to check the obvious:
Have you enabled and selected 360k in your BIOS?

Russ

Russell May wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:46:49 +0100, "Simon Rear"
> <replytonewsgrouponly.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anybody successfully installed a 5.25" 360k floppy drive on a
>> current Gigabyte motherboard?
>
> <snip>
>
> 5.25" floppy drive works on my 8IEXP but that is not "current"
> (2-3 years old). Now that I think about it, my 5.25" floppy
> drive is a 1.2MB unit. It can read 360KB disks but is not ideal
> for writing them because of the difference in track width.
>
> Just to check the obvious:
> Have you enabled and selected 360k in your BIOS?
>
> Russ

Thanks Russ, and yes 360k BIOS setting this was the first thing I tried...
Oh well looks lie I've got a drive to sell on e-bay!

Simon

TRENDING THREADS