[SOLVED] Do 6 pin to 8 pin adapters reduce performance?

Apr 15, 2020
I just bought a gtx 1660 that requires an 8 pin, me being the dummy that I am didn’t check if I had 8 pin connectors. I ordered an adapter that allows the 6 pin to connect to the 8 pin and I’m worried it might reduce performance

Solution
I just bought a gtx 1660 that requires an 8 pin, me being the dummy that I am didn’t check if I had 8 pin connectors. I ordered an adapter that allows the 6 pin to connect to the 8 pin and I’m worried it might reduce performance

The adapter is mistake number two. If your PSU doesn't have an 8-pin connector in 2020, it's highly likely it's a junk PSU. Adapters on a junk PSU reduce your ability to not fry your GPU or not have your PC be on fire.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The adapter is mistake number two. If your PSU doesn't have an 8-pin connector in 2020, it's highly likely it's a junk PSU. Adapters on a junk PSU reduce your ability to not fry your GPU or not have your PC be on fire.

Solution
Apr 15, 2020
Ok! I’m currently on the lookout for brand name PSU’s. Thank you!

Apr 15, 2020
What about a 2x 6pin to a single 8 pin? Wouldn’t that produce the 150w the gpu requires?

What about a 2x 6pin to a single 8 pin? Wouldn’t that produce the 150w the gpu requires?

Yeah sure. Add even more power to that adapter so it can burn even more.

What you need is a good quality PSU that has 6+2 pin cable(s) without using that adapter.

I'm sure you don't wanna be part of the horror stories of adapters melting and PSU dying bringing some parts of the system along the way.

Apr 15, 2020
They don't produce anything. They can't turn poorly filtered, unsafe power into something safer.

With the right wiring, I can easily connect my genitals to an electric outlet. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Yea I worded that wrong. I meant a adapter that takes 2x6 pin to a single 8 pin. After doing loads of research I decided to invest into a new PSU. Someone told me That there’s really no way of telling if it’s safe as it works for some people but I’m not willing to take the risk. Rather buy a good quality PSU than buying a new gpu.

Thanks for all your help guys!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yea I worded that wrong. I meant a adapter that takes 2x6 pin to a single 8 pin. After doing loads of research I decided to invest into a new PSU. Someone told me That there’s really no way of telling if it’s safe as it works for some people but I’m not willing to take the risk. Rather buy a good quality PSU than buying a new gpu.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Glad to hear! We don't want you to be back here telling us that your GPU is dead!