do adding another ram?

GamerRukario

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
Do adding another ram for a laptop with i3-3120m and Intel hd 4000 improve its gaming performance? like 5%-25% increase?......it have 4gb that I think isnt enough 'cause when Im playing,windows always said that I have not enough ram(Im talking about the dual channeling stuff)

Solution
I think that 4gb isnt enough for Intel hd 4000 'cause of the error Ive mentioned in my first post...........so If I add another ram..another 4gb with the same speed so that Ill solve the not enough ram error that always interupt my games especially State of Decay that It always brings me to desktop and the game doesnt auto-pause that my character nearly died but thank something 'cause I have a companion.....so does not enough ram decrease my laptop's gaming performance?..and if I now have 8gb of ram in my laptop and I activated the dual channel stuff do it have any fps increase in my games?

Jaydee Ramos

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

It probably will thats the only upgrade to do in laptop so it should

CrispyChips

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Very few laptops are upgradeable at all,you'd have to look up your particular model and see if you even can put more RAM in it,but i seriously doubt it.

In the event you can add RAM,it wont give you a huge increase of performance in games. Your graphics card is the bottleneck.

GamerRukario

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

from what Ive read my laptop have 4 slots(I aint sure)

Jaydee Ramos

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

But in can increase performance in somewhat applications, if you want to increase performance try to low the settings in games, but don't worry not too much detail will be lost

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Check your motherboard and make sure it is able to support more ram. Just because you have the slots doesn’t mean you will be able to use the extra ram.

I had an old Alienware mx17 laptop with 8gb of ram, when I ordered the laptop it came with x2 4gb sticks, so I wanted to upgrade to 16gb of ram with my 2 extra slots. come to fine out my motherboard only supported a max of 8gb ram. I am glad that I checked because it would have been a waste of money to buy the extra ram.

Also there is a clip on youtube that should how increasing ram vs over clocking ram (i.e. 1600 vs 2400) affects your games. I would post the link but I am at work and unable to get on you tube. The video is by jayztwocents.

pm4

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
Adding memory if possible may help you as you use integrated gpu intel hd4000. It use your ram memory as it do not have it's own dedicated memory. I think it can use around 1720MB. So if you add up your normal usage + ram for game + gpu using memory it may very well run out of memory and throttle down performance.

GamerRukario

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
I think that 4gb isnt enough for Intel hd 4000 'cause of the error Ive mentioned in my first post...........so If I add another ram..another 4gb with the same speed so that Ill solve the not enough ram error that always interupt my games especially State of Decay that It always brings me to desktop and the game doesnt auto-pause that my character nearly died but thank something 'cause I have a companion.....so does not enough ram decrease my laptop's gaming performance?..and if I now have 8gb of ram in my laptop and I activated the dual channel stuff do it have any fps increase in my games?

Solution

GamerRukario

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
my Intel HD 4000(according to Intel Extreme Tuning Utility) that it have 1.92 gb of ram....so that might be the reason that it can use upto 50% of my ram and while writing this my ram usage is about 1.90 gb of ram without playiing something