[SOLVED] Do All M.2 SSDs Work With The ASUS Prime B250M-A?

Jul 12, 2020
I am looking for an M.2 SSD to order but I am not sure which ones I can get. I was hoping to get an NVMe GEN 3X4 but I am not sure if it is compatible. The slot seems to be the same but I dont want to buy the wrong thing. Thanks!

Solution
Believe it or not, PCIe is not the same as NVMe. There are some boards that only support AHCI drives over M.2 PCIe. However, based on the supported drive list for your motherboard, NVMe looks to be supported. (if you look here at the bottom you'll see Intel's 750 series listed, which is NVMe; this list is far from exhaustive)

In any case, you're good to go, it's full-length (for consumer drives) and will have no conflicts with a NVMe drive in either M.2 socket (check the manual). If you want to narrow down the choices, check my resources (signature link).
Believe it or not, PCIe is not the same as NVMe. There are some boards that only support AHCI drives over M.2 PCIe. However, based on the supported drive list for your motherboard, NVMe looks to be supported. (if you look here at the bottom you'll see Intel's 750 series listed, which is NVMe; this list is far from exhaustive)

In any case, you're good to go, it's full-length (for consumer drives) and will have no conflicts with a NVMe drive in either M.2 socket (check the manual). If you want to narrow down the choices, check my resources (signature link).

Solution