Question Do all motherboards support rgb memory?

Mar 6, 2019
Hey guys. I got a bit of an odd question regarding ram sticks with rgb lighting.

I currently have a
NZXT H5001 Case with great looking led strips
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H motherboard
Ryzen 7 1700 cpu (not yet purchased but plays a role in what kind of ram works with the motherboard)

I wanted to buy two 8 gig ram modules with rbgs to compliment the case. A quick price drop / deal search at pcpartpicker yielded about 50 results in the 90-130 dollar range including all major brands and different types of ddr4 ram. However after downloading the Memory Support List for my motherboard and cpu (summit ridge) and comparing it to all the ram deals I had open in my browser I was fairly surprised to find out that not a single one could be found in the memory support list.

This leads me to the question: Do cheaper motherboards not support the rgb portion of a ram stick or did gigabyte simply not test ram sticks with rgb?

Reactions: Banned by Net

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2D3000C16#tab-tech-specs

VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C16 Memory Kit — Black

Compatibility:
Intel 100 Series,Intel 200 Series,Intel 300 Series,Intel X299,AMD 300 Series,AMD 400 Series

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $109.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-17 00:05 EDT-0400

Mar 6, 2019
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2D3000C16#tab-tech-specs

VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C16 Memory Kit — Black

Compatibility:
Intel 100 Series,Intel 200 Series,Intel 300 Series,Intel X299,AMD 300 Series,AMD 400 Series

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $109.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-17 00:05 EDT-0400
Thank's! Appreciate it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
QVL is kinda misleading. There's only a handful of actual ram OEMs, Samsung being one, and they make the ram for everyone else. So if any g-skill Trident-Z is tested, then since all Trident-Z uses Samsung, take it for granted that they've all been tested. Samsung uses the same ic's for Patriot elite, adata xpg, and several others.

Ram has specific model numbers attached to it. The model number dictates model, kit, speed, color, size etc. If you look at the Trident-Z, there's 6 different colors, 3 different sizes, 8+ different speeds, 4 different kits, and more, ending up with just over 200 different actual individual model numbers. Just for the Trident-Z. Add in the RipJaws, sniper, aries, value, RGB etc and you get thousands of numbers just for g-skill. Then add Patriot, Corsair, adata, Samsung, Crucial etc and you end up with hundreds of thousands of individual sticks. Nobody is going to test all of that, it'd take thousands of man hours, hundreds of thousands of dollars in ram, and end up years later with a QVL thousands of pages long, covering far too many repeats of ram that's identical to other vendors since they use the same OEM ic's.

So they grab some sticks from what's locally available, some they have floating around the shop, some prototypes that are donated etc and you get a tiny portion of a QVL selection that really amounts to saying g-skill works, Corsair works, Crucial works and these speeds tested on the mobo work.

In over 30 years of messing around with pc's and ram, I don't think I've ever actually used a set of ram that was listed on the QVL for any particular mobo. Same vendor, maybe even same speed, but never the exact model number.