[SOLVED] Do all of 200mm fans luff?

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
is small movement while running at full speed normal?
case here is Coolermaster h500M fans.
It's only visible while looking closely
was wondering if It's only my case or all of 200mm fans have small movement in place when they spin.
It also makes a small even sound while running at FULL speed which I believe is due to It's movement.
It sounds like. woooOooowoooOooowoooOooo etc..
I haven't seen 200mm fans before until now so I pretty much know nothing about them.

Solution
That's air pressure. There should not be any forwards/backwards movement of the fan, it should be stationary, regardless of back pressure wanting to push the fan forwards on the bearing.

Nothing to do with a fan being 200mm, everything to do with the fan being faulty. The noise you are hearing is because of the pitch of the blades and the pressure behind them changing the position of the blades in respect to the fans frame. Suck air through a straw, listen to how it sounds. Suck air through same staw stuck in an empty cup. Sounds very different. Same deal with the fan blades as they change position in the frame, you get the variable hum

Make a video, showing the movement, make sure audio is good, and send it to CoolerMaster. Tell...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's air pressure. There should not be any forwards/backwards movement of the fan, it should be stationary, regardless of back pressure wanting to push the fan forwards on the bearing.

Nothing to do with a fan being 200mm, everything to do with the fan being faulty. The noise you are hearing is because of the pitch of the blades and the pressure behind them changing the position of the blades in respect to the fans frame. Suck air through a straw, listen to how it sounds. Suck air through same staw stuck in an empty cup. Sounds very different. Same deal with the fan blades as they change position in the frame, you get the variable hum

Make a video, showing the movement, make sure audio is good, and send it to CoolerMaster. Tell them you want replacement fans.

Solution