Do AMD CPUs overheat while playing "heavy" games?

tech96

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
I recently bought a new AMD a8 6600k CPU,about a month ago. Recently,I installed Call of Duty-Modern Warfare 3 and after playing for about 20 minutes,the pc just turned off.I searched on Google and discovered that it was probably an overheating issue.

Normally,the CPU runs at 40 C while performing light actions(web browsing,document editing etc).{The temperature here itself is around 30 C}.So, what should I do now?

Solution
You need a new application of paste or something. Also, about Prime95 being realistic, it's a stress test, of course it is. But gaming on an intensive game for 6 hours will get your CPU pretty hot, and you don't want it to cut out then. I would reapply the paste myself, so you know it's being done correctly, as it sounds like there is little to no contact with the heatsink.

limitzvfxgoespc

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
nup not at all. mine never goes above 60, and that's with a stock cooler! The cpu is always hotter than the mobo by about 1.4 times more so its normal. The reason for the overheat was maybe you didn't install the cpu cooler correctly or the thermal paste is faulty, but yet again it's hot you said the ambient temperature. That shouldn't be the issue though

tech96

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
Thanks for your answer. But the CPU cooler is installed properly,I believe-a professional did it and did charge me a significant amt for installing the system.

Alos,the temp reaches 73 C just after running Prime 95 for 5 seconds!!

tech96

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
After running Prime95, the max temperature recorded is 82 C,and avg temp was 75 C. The test was completed successfully.

Could the PSU cause the problem then?

limitzvfxgoespc

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

prime 95 is quite unrealistic and i used it and it got too hot after a short amount of time. Prime 95 makes sure that your cpu is stressed to a whole new level, a level games won't have that issue. I would suggest just popping him a visit, as i believe the cooler maybe be faulty or the thermal paste.

tech96

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
Thanks everyone.

I noticed one thing that the fan is pretty small,compared to the one I had before(Intel core 2 duo).Also,it is drawing air from outside towards the CPU.

Which is correct-sucking air in or blowing air out?

You need a new application of paste or something. Also, about Prime95 being realistic, it's a stress test, of course it is. But gaming on an intensive game for 6 hours will get your CPU pretty hot, and you don't want it to cut out then. I would reapply the paste myself, so you know it's being done correctly, as it sounds like there is little to no contact with the heatsink.

Solution

tech96

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

The thing is that I didn't play for 6 hours-I only played for around 25 minutes.Also,my earlier CPUs(all Intel) never really went beyond 70 C;here it is reaching 95 C(HWmonitor,SpeedFan) which is making me worried.Another thing the fan seemed a bit small to me,it does not even cover the heat sink entirely.

Now,I probably play games for max 1 hr a day-do I need to buy a separate cooler for that??

limitzvfxgoespc

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

yes, i know that after a while of gaming it gets hot, but prime 95 id used for stress testing that's it. my cpu on bf4 never gets past 60 degrees but on prime 95 its over 70!. With the bf4 test that's after 3 hours. I also did quote that he had a bad installation

TRENDING THREADS