Do AMD GPUs work better with AMD CPUs?

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016
I've heard some say it's best to pair an AMD GPU with an AMD CPU. I know pairing an Nvidia GPU with a Ryzen would work, but is it somewhat lessened? I'm not sure fin this is true or not, but I've already ordered a GTX 1080 Ti that I plan to pair with a Ryzen and I want to know if it's not going to be used the best way it can.

Solution
No, there's no optimization or improvement between Ryzen/AMD CPUs and AMD/ATI GPUs, nor is it that way with Intel/NVidia. It's a pretty gnarly myth that gets people to usually go all Red or Green/Blue.

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
No, there's no optimization or improvement between Ryzen/AMD CPUs and AMD/ATI GPUs, nor is it that way with Intel/NVidia. It's a pretty gnarly myth that gets people to usually go all Red or Green/Blue.

Solution
CPUs are GPU brand and model agnostic...
GPUs are CPU brand and model agnostic.

Games may be a different story as NVidia funds games to be NVidia optimized and AMD does too [EDIT]for their own GPUs to a lesser extent. Outside of that, the software/drivers pays attention to the amount of cores and features available without regard to brands. (GPU drivers only worry about the GPUs they're made to support, CPU drivers (where applicable) only worry about bringing CPU features/optimizations on-line for that specific CPU.