Do any parts need upgrading on current system?

Joshee23

Commendable
May 20, 2017
Hi guys

First time user here, fell out of the loop a couple of years ago keeping up with PC components etc and not really had time to get reacquainted with everything.

Just wondering if there's anything I drastically need to do to increase performance for gaming on my current PC? Currently run PUBG @ around 85-100fps and Black Ops 4 @ around 60fps~

Specs;

CPU - i5-4440 @ 3.10ghz
GPU - Geforce GTX 1060 3gb
Mobo - MSI - H81MP33
RAM - 16gb
SSD - 1TB
HD - 120gb

I also have 2 Ballistix Sport 8gb Pieces of ram and HyperX fury 8gb sitting doing nothing on my desk.

Cheers
Josh

Solution
16GB is plenty for gaming. If you replace the motherboard you might as well just do a new build. You could pick up a Z97 board and an unlocked CPU so that you could use faster memory, but it wouldn't make as big a difference as just dropping in a faster CPU. But something like an i5-8400 and a B360 motherboard with DDR4 would cost about the same as locating a Z97 motherboard and purchasing an i7-4790k.

Easy enough to see what you need to upgrade. Run monitoring software when you game. Check CPU and GPU usage, whichever is getting near 100% is the one you should consider upgrading.

GTX1060 3GB is a decent mid-range card for 1080p. Can certainly get a lot more FPS from faster GPUs and CPUs. You have a fairly balanced system in terms of...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you wanted to keep that platform you could drop in an i7-4790 or i7-4790k. That is about all I would do to it immediately.

If you feel graphics performance isn't up to your standards, you could get a faster GPU.

And if you get a much faster GPU, a monitor upgrade.

On getting an i7-4790, there are many used business PCs with i7-4770 and i7-4790 up for sale. You can pick one of these up, swap CPUs and sell the whole thing. Can often keep CPU upgrades to a handful of dollars if done right.

Joshee23

Commendable
May 20, 2017
Also a quick Q, what about the motherboard? should I consider anything about that to incorporate more ram etc?

Mainly just after FPS boost in game, not too bothered about graphics.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
16GB is plenty for gaming. If you replace the motherboard you might as well just do a new build. You could pick up a Z97 board and an unlocked CPU so that you could use faster memory, but it wouldn't make as big a difference as just dropping in a faster CPU. But something like an i5-8400 and a B360 motherboard with DDR4 would cost about the same as locating a Z97 motherboard and purchasing an i7-4790k.

Easy enough to see what you need to upgrade. Run monitoring software when you game. Check CPU and GPU usage, whichever is getting near 100% is the one you should consider upgrading.

GTX1060 3GB is a decent mid-range card for 1080p. Can certainly get a lot more FPS from faster GPUs and CPUs. You have a fairly balanced system in terms of CPU and GPU now though, so upgrading one or the other isn't ideal.

Solution

Joshee23

Commendable
May 20, 2017

Thanks mate. Appreciate the help :)