Question Do any SATA SSDs allow you to massively over-provision them or otherwise limit their space on a hardware level?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I have some older devices that had strange limits to how large a drive they could handle. One of them for example tops out at 1.5TB, going higher would cause issues. Are there any SSDs that allow me to massively over-provision them or otherwise from a bios/hardware level limit their available space so I can make a 2TB drive look like a 1.5TB drive to the system?

USAFRet

Titan
I have some older devices that had strange limits to how large a drive they could handle. One of them for example tops out at 1.5TB, going higher would cause issues. Are there any SSDs that allow me to massively over-provision them or otherwise from a bios/hardware level limit their available space so I can make a 2TB drive look like a 1.5TB drive to the system?
Just make a partition of the desired size, and leave the rest unformatted and with no drive letter.
The SSD does not care. Free space is free space.
The drive firmware moves things around as needed, and the OS never knows the difference.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Older device like for example???

Some older consoles like Playstation 3.

Just make a partition of the desired size, and leave the rest unformatted and with no drive letter.
The SSD does not care. Free space is free space.
The drive firmware moves things around as needed, and the OS never knows the difference.

A partition wouldn't work, the systems would partition and format the drive themselves, ignoring any current formatting and partitions.