[SOLVED] Do Ballistix SODIMM consume more power than standard Crucial RAM?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I am considering:

Crucial 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4-2666 SODIMM, 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4-2400 SODIMM and Crucial Ballistix SODIMM 16GB Kit (2x8GB). Does the Ballistix version consume more power than the standard version? All are 1.2V.

Also, which of the following configurations consumer the least power? 1x16GB, 2x8GB, 2x4GB, 2x16GB. I asked their tech support 4 times but the guy tried to avoid saying anything.

Am I correct that if the system only supports
  • DDR4 1866/2133 MHz SDRAM SO-DIMMs

Then going higher than 2133MHz is just a waste of money?

Solution
If all are 1.2V, then the same configuration of Ballistix will consume the same power as the Crucial ValueRam or whatever it's called.

Generally, lower density/capacity is going to consume less power. All else being equal 1x4GB @ 1.2V is going to consume a little less than 1x8 or 2x4 at the same voltage etc.

All that being said however, the power consumption of RAM (especially soDIMMs) are pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things. Loosely speaking, you're looking at ~2W peak for every 4GB.

Yes, if the official spec maxes out at 2133MHz, and has no ability to enable XMP or overclock, you're going to be running at a max 2133MHz. >2133Mhz is a complete waste of money, IF it costs more. soDIMMs are a little more cut &...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If all are 1.2V, then the same configuration of Ballistix will consume the same power as the Crucial ValueRam or whatever it's called.

Generally, lower density/capacity is going to consume less power. All else being equal 1x4GB @ 1.2V is going to consume a little less than 1x8 or 2x4 at the same voltage etc.

All that being said however, the power consumption of RAM (especially soDIMMs) are pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things. Loosely speaking, you're looking at ~2W peak for every 4GB.

Yes, if the official spec maxes out at 2133MHz, and has no ability to enable XMP or overclock, you're going to be running at a max 2133MHz. >2133Mhz is a complete waste of money, IF it costs more. soDIMMs are a little more cut & dry vs desktop DIMMs, but it wouldn't be unheard of to find 2400-2666MHz for the same, or less than 2133MHz.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution