Nov 2, 2019
Hi, might be a dumb question, but I recently bought an external 4k Blu Ray drive to watch movies and install some classic games on, as my PC did not have room for an internal drive. I installed a game, which went fine, but every time I try to launch the game it tells me it can't find the CD-ROM and won't launch the game. I can put the disc in the drive and it shows up under "This PC" as recognizing it's a game disc and I can run the game launcher itself from the window, it just won't launch the game. So I'm wondering if there's any real difference between BD-ROMs and CD-ROMs that would prevent the software from recognizing the drive?

I'm thinking it might be because I'm using a BD-ROM and the game, being from 2006 and not being supported by the publisher or developer anymore, just won't recognize what a BD-ROM is? like, maybe the disc needs to be loaded into a CD-ROM in order for the software to run the disc? Though I'm not entirely sure that's the problem and I just wanted to ask somebody who maybe has more experience with these things than me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
Old game, it may just not detect the external drive properly vs an internal one. Have you make sure the drive letter is the same on the disk as when you installed the game?

For older games I have used a virtual CD program, you make an ISO file of the disk, then load it in the virtual disk program and run it from there.
Nov 2, 2019
PS

The hardware is all running fine. It doesn't have a brand on the drive itself (bought it cheap off of amazon) but it's recognized as a "hp BDDVDRW CT21L USB Device" and I've looked for driver updates and my computer says the best drivers are already installed. So I figure it's probably an off brand or generic manufacturer using HP equipment.

Old game, it may just not detect the external drive properly vs an internal one. Have you make sure the drive letter is the same on the disk as when you installed the game?

For older games I have used a virtual CD program, you make an ISO file of the disk, then load it in the virtual disk program and run it from there.

Solution
Nov 2, 2019
Thanks for the reply!

I did some more digging after I posted this and discovered the game I'm trying to play uses DRM that isn't supported by Windows 10, so that's what the problem was. Only way to get around it seemed like downloading pirate-ware and I'm not comfortable with that stuff.