Question Do Cable TV boxes need Ethernet connection ?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Sorry if this sounds too basic, as I don't have a cable TV box. Just for knowledge's sake. My idea is that the typical cable TV box will typically receive the TV channels through a coaxial cable and then it needs to be connected to the router (typical SOHO router with modem/switch and wireless access point) with an Ethernet cable, right? I mean, are there cable TV boxes that don't need this ethernet connection and do it all through the coaxial cable you plug to the cable box?

I guess that Ethernet connection is needed for upstream data right? so when you authenticate to a TV channel or buy a movie the data can be sent to the provider..

Any answers much welcome.

D

Deleted member 14196

No It does not need to be hooked up to ethernet at all. It gets everything it needs through the coax

Reactions: Rodion15
We used to have Dish Network, going thru several generations of receivers. Older generations wanted a phone line so they can call home during the night to update something in order to receive a discount. Later models used Ethernet connection for video-on-demand, and dropped phone line requirement.

Reactions: Rodion15

TRENDING THREADS