[SOLVED] Do cable type matter? cat6/cat7/cat8?

Azizinum

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Hello guys, recently was buying compenonents for a new PC and saw different types of cables, which i have no idea about at all, i did google and read but i don't know does it impact anything ? considering the internet speed here isn't fast for DSL which i use to play online games, my router is TP-Link Archer D50, so what do you suggest i should buy cat6 7 or 8?

Solution
You want to buy cat5e. Mostly the cable numbers are a scam for people that think bigger number is better. Unlike you they do not even ask what the difference is.

Cat5e can do 1gbit to 100 meters. The only other cable you want to ever consider is cat6a. This is rated to 10gbit at 100 meters. Cat6 was designed to run 1gbit over 2 pair but nobody implemented nic cards so it has no purpose. It was improved to run 10g and called cat6a. Cat7 was never fully certified and only runs 10g but costs lots more than cat6a for no real benefit. Many manufacture are just calling there cables cat8 but it means nothing. There will likely be a standard called cat8 in the future that can run 100gbit but there is very little need so...
You want to buy cat5e. Mostly the cable numbers are a scam for people that think bigger number is better. Unlike you they do not even ask what the difference is.

Cat5e can do 1gbit to 100 meters. The only other cable you want to ever consider is cat6a. This is rated to 10gbit at 100 meters. Cat6 was designed to run 1gbit over 2 pair but nobody implemented nic cards so it has no purpose. It was improved to run 10g and called cat6a. Cat7 was never fully certified and only runs 10g but costs lots more than cat6a for no real benefit. Many manufacture are just calling there cables cat8 but it means nothing. There will likely be a standard called cat8 in the future that can run 100gbit but there is very little need so it has been moving very slowly.

What is extremely important to know is CAT means nothing actually. Many manufactures sell fakes cables on amazon and ebay and pretend they are ethernet. Ethernet is actually based on standard like eia/tia and a couple others.

You need to buy pure copper cable (no cca) wire size needs to be 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

Your router only has 100mbps ports so you could actually use CAT5 (ie no E) but these are almost impossible to buy anymore and likely will cost more than cat5e cables.

Solution

Azizinum

Distinguished
May 18, 2014

Cat5e can do 1gbit to 100 meters. The only other cable you want to ever consider is cat6a. This is rated to 10gbit at 100 meters. Cat6 was designed to run 1gbit over 2 pair but nobody implemented nic cards so it has no purpose. It was improved to run 10g and called cat6a. Cat7 was never fully certified and only runs 10g but costs lots more than cat6a for no real benefit. Many manufacture are just calling there cables cat8 but it means nothing. There will likely be a standard called cat8 in the future that can run 100gbit but there is very little need so it has been moving very slowly.

What is extremely important to know is CAT means nothing actually. Many manufactures sell fakes cables on amazon and ebay and pretend they are ethernet. Ethernet is actually based on standard like eia/tia and a couple others.

You need to buy pure copper cable (no cca) wire size needs to be 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

Your router only has 100mbps ports so you could actually use CAT5 (ie no E) but these are almost impossible to buy anymore and likely will cost more than cat5e cables.
Thanks alot ,makes sense now, been reading abit about it recently and will go for what you suggested cheers.