[SOLVED] Do case standoffs become loose upon motherboard removal?

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Ok, so this is a silly question but I'd figure I would ask. I just rebuilt my system and installed a new motherboard with my case. I removed the old motherboard via the 8 screws on standoffs and installed a new motherboard. My only problem is, in my haste, I forgot to check the standoffs themselves to see if they became loose on the removal of the old motherboard's screws (before I installed the new one.)

With the new board, I installed via the standoff screws and it fit fine with no problems. It did not seem like the standoffs were loose, but again, I did not directly apply my screwdriver to them to check. The motherboard screws themselves (not the standoffs) are in nice and tight.

My paranoia is that perhaps the standoffs underneath the screws are a bit loose? Do motherboard standoffs become loose when the motherboard screws in them get loosened? Or is the whole point of standoffs so that they remain more-or -less a steady screw point regardless of the action of the screws in them? I do remember that when I installed the standoffs with the case the 1st time, I did put them in nice and tight.

Just checking here - it's probably fine. Truthfully, I'm in no hurry to tear apart my computer build yet again to find out.

Solution
Even if they are loose, they are still doing the job of keeping the motherboard from shorting with the case. You are ok from that point of view.

One related issue I have had in the past is removing a motherboard installation screw and finding that the standoff spins and does not allow screw removal.
Kind of a nasty problem if the motherboard is stuck in the case.

For that reason, I try to tighten the standoff to the motherboard securely, and tighten the mounting screw lightly.

DSzymborski

Titan
Ok, so this is a silly question but I'd figure I would ask. I just rebuilt my system and installed a new motherboard with my case. I removed the old motherboard via the 8 screws on standoffs and installed a new motherboard. My only problem is, in my haste, I forgot to check the standoffs themselves to see if they became loose on the removal of the old motherboard's screws (before I installed the new one.)

With the new board, I installed via the standoff screws and it fit fine with no problems. It did not seem like the standoffs were loose, but again, I did not directly apply my screwdriver to them to check. My paranoia is that perhaps the standoffs underneath the screws are a bit loose? Do motherboard standoffs become loose when the motherboard screws in them get loosened? Or is the whole point of standoffs so that they remain more-or -less a steady screw point regardless of the action of the screws in them? Just checking here - it's probably fine. Truthfully, I'm in no hurry to tear apart my computer build yet again to find out.

I haven't had them come loose in the path -- they're designed not to be -- but there is going to be some variability in this based on the tolerances of the case, the standoffs, and whoever installed them initially. I do have an inclination to think they were fine as you would have probably noticed while screwing things in; for example, you may not have been able to tighten the motherboard screws. At this stage, assuming they're screwed tightly to the motherboard screws, the standoffs can't really go anywhere unless most or all of them are loose.

Even if they are loose, they are still doing the job of keeping the motherboard from shorting with the case. You are ok from that point of view.

One related issue I have had in the past is removing a motherboard installation screw and finding that the standoff spins and does not allow screw removal.
Kind of a nasty problem if the motherboard is stuck in the case.

For that reason, I try to tighten the standoff to the motherboard securely, and tighten the mounting screw lightly.

Solution