Question Do cat5e and cat7 ethernet cables perform identically in this situation ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I want to buy two moca 2.5 adapters for a moca 2.5 setup which i believe can provide a max download/upload rate of 1gbps.

I already have 2 cat5e cables that are speced to have 1gbps capacity...

Should i use my cat5e cables or should i buy cat7 cables ? Will there be a difference in performance ?

The ports limit the speed not cable so much. Since the ports can only run 1gbit no matter what cable you plug into them the maximum you can get is 1gbit. Since cat5e is rated to 1gbit it can fully support the port.

This in a way is similar to putting racing tires on your car. It really doesn't matter if the tires can do 200mph when then speed limit is 50mph and the cops are following you.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
One more question:

For a moca 2.5 setup, does it matter what type of coax cables i use ? Does it matter how long the cable is ?

I am getting a 50ft and a 0.5 feet coax cables...

Do some coax cables perform better than the others ? Or they all perform the same ?

kanewolf

Titan
One more question:

For a moca 2.5 setup, does it matter what type of coax cables i use ? Does it matter how long the cable is ?

I am getting a 50ft and a 0.5 feet coax cables...

Do some coax cables perform better than the others ? Or they all perform the same ?
I would always recommend RG6 quad shield. Same as ethernet, buy quality cable.

Reactions: knowledge2121