[SOLVED] Do certain TRRS cables only work with Keyboards ?

SeanK135

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
hi, so i plan i building my own custom split keyboard, and wanted to geta coiled trrs cable for it, does it matter which one i get? like fo only certain types of TRRS cables work with keyboards?? and does anyone have some suggestions?

Solution
More information needed.

Do you have a link to the plans or any other information regarding the keyboard?

Very much in favor of DIY projects but knowing more about the "big picture" is important.

TRRS is associated with audio.

Keyboards are, for the most part, either USB or wireless.

FYI regarding TRRS:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

The key for you is to map the pinouts between your custom split keyboard cable and the intended port connection on the eventual host computer.

And then there is the matter of drivers: the host computer will need to have the driver software to accept the device (keyboard) input via TRRS (an audio input) and convert that input into the applicable...

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed.

Do you have a link to the plans or any other information regarding the keyboard?

Very much in favor of DIY projects but knowing more about the "big picture" is important.

TRRS is associated with audio.

Keyboards are, for the most part, either USB or wireless.

FYI regarding TRRS:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

The key for you is to map the pinouts between your custom split keyboard cable and the intended port connection on the eventual host computer.

And then there is the matter of drivers: the host computer will need to have the driver software to accept the device (keyboard) input via TRRS (an audio input) and convert that input into the applicable characters and keyboard actions.

Side note: Coiled cables can become problematic because when extended they tend to pull back against you and that can disrupt and or interfere with any on-going activities.

What coiled cables are being considered? Links?

Solution