Jul 14, 2019
My old power strip got fried due to a voltage fluctuation . I'm planning to buy a new one. But my question is ..do we really need these so called 'surge protector' power strips for our PC. Do they really work ? or There's no point of these $10-15 power strips , we need to buy expensive ones in order to get our pc protected from power surge ? I have a very little knowledge regarding this. Pardon me for this stupid question.
sz77me7.jpg

Those cheap surge protectors are little more than power strips for more outlets. If they do offer any suppression ability. They'll keep working once the suppressor bit has worn out leaving you totally unprotected.

A good quality surge strip stops functioning once the surge protector mechanism has burned out. Such as an APC surge strip with fail safe mode.

If you want superior protection you'd be looking at an automatic voltage regulator. Beyond that you'll want to look at a line conditioner. An offline UPS with voltage regulation and surge suppression is a better. Going up to an Online UPS which isolates equipment from the AC line coming in.