Do CPU/GPU have anything built in to test hours used and wear?

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Wondering if they have what would be like an odometer for hardware. This way if you buy used you could load up some software and see how many hours it has been used outside at or past the normal clock speed and also check the highest temp it experienced.

If so, how do you find this? If not, what the hell, seems like a good feature to have.

Solution
That's something that would require an additional subset of instructions on the CPU or GPU package somewhere. I doubt most hardware manufacturers would agree that it's a good feature to have if it requires them to invest more into the product in terms of development and physical changes to the architecture in order to accomodate it.

There might be SOMETHING like that in the deeply hidden areas of the architecture like those accessed by some of the recently publicized vulnerabilities in the management engine, but if it's something accessible by consumers or technicians it's nothing I've heard of.
That's something that would require an additional subset of instructions on the CPU or GPU package somewhere. I doubt most hardware manufacturers would agree that it's a good feature to have if it requires them to invest more into the product in terms of development and physical changes to the architecture in order to accomodate it.

There might be SOMETHING like that in the deeply hidden areas of the architecture like those accessed by some of the recently publicized vulnerabilities in the management engine, but if it's something accessible by consumers or technicians it's nothing I've heard of.

Solution

You haven't? I have. Practically ALL solid state drives have an odometer of sorts. But CPUs and GPUs, never heard of anything like that.

They have TB written, which is a pretty good indicator of mileage. Hours? No. Still, hours probably isn't a good indicator anyhow as a CPU or GPU card that spends a good portion of it's life sitting idle or at low loads is likely still in better shape after 5000 hours than one that has been running all out, overclocked, for 1000.

But you're right. Either way, they don't have them so it's a moot point for the average consumer.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Uptime is shown in Windows Task Manager under the Performance tab, although I've never seen it mentioned if, or where, total hours uptime may be stored in Windows ... perhaps buried somewhere in the registry. Aircraft and marine engines, electrical generators and heavy construction equipment, as well as a wide variety of industrial machinery have hour meters so runtime, planned and unscheduled maintenance can be accurately logged, tracked and analyzed, either locally or remotely. Hour meters are also essential for establishing MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) ratings, such as for hard drives, fans and pumps, or other mechanical devices that are limited by the life expectancy of bearings.

Buy from a reputable seller with a very high approval rating and MANY prior sales. That's the best way to ensure you get a reliable component OR are able to easily return it if there is a problem. People with over 1000 prior sales AND a high approval rating on Ebay generally want to keep it that way.

TRENDING THREADS