[SOLVED] Do cpu have manufacting defects?

Apr 13, 2021
Hi to all,
I'm beginner in tech forum, this was my first thread so i might not be sure whether it is relevent or not.
I came across one of colleague complaints his i7 9600k hangs and it was issue with processor.
Is it possible that after high quality checking the processor either fails or works. Even it fail work it should be dead processor not a hanging processor.
I found many processor 7th and 8th gen processor dead condition. But this was my first encouter to hear after an year of usage processor fails.
All I need to know about, is it possible a processor fail out other then burnout, since it is calculate 0 and 1 either it works or fails.
can any geek help me that any hang could be due to other components rather than a processor defect

Solution
I should add that most of your CPUs are effectively manufacturing defects marketed direct to consumer.

Intel's last few generations have been things like i3, i5, i7 chips. Within each family is a grade so you get a low end 10400, 10500, 10600K and all the T and F variants. The most successful chips are actually the T class. Fully functional, capable of running with very low input voltages. K series are your leaky chips, they can run fast, but not as efficiently (which is an advantage when overclocking, to some extent(the leakage, not the extra power draw)) F variants (formerly P) without graphics were built with them in mind, but they didn't work so they get disabled.

From what I have read, the 11th gen is a departure. All i5-i9 chips...
I came across one of colleague complaints his i7 9600k hangs and it was issue with processor.
Could be multitude of reasons. CPU failure is one of less likely.

Could be
overheating of cpu and/or gpu,​
too much overclocking,​
memory stability issues,​
unstable power delivery from psu,​
driver issues,​
hdd/ssd failure.​
The issue needs to be properly diagnosed first. Don't jump to any conclusions without that.

Hi to all,
I'm beginner in tech forum, this was my first thread so i might not be sure whether it is relevent or not.
Is it possible that after high quality checking the processor either fails or works. Even it fail work it should be dead processor not a hanging processor.
I found many processor 7th and 8th gen processor dead condition. But this was my first encouter to hear after an year of usage processor fails.
All I need to know about, is it possible a processor fail out other then burnout, since it is calculate 0 and 1 either it works or fails.
can any geek help me that any hang could be due to other components rather than a processor defect
Everything had its limits including silicon. At some point it will just break same as a door hinge will eventually break.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Cpu's last the longest in a sustem in my experience. I use a 9600k oc'd to 4.9ghz on all cores. I had a situation like that. It was caused by a overheating gpu. Check cpu and gpu temps while doing a stress test.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Been building since the early 90s, only ever had one CPU 'fail'. On these forums, it has only come up a few times where a new CPU solved the problem. Generally, most people don't have the opportunity to replace a CPU, by the time the system has failed it is time for replacement anyway. Often more effective to do a CPU/Motherboard/Ram swap.

Typically motherboard failures (usually from people mistreating USB ports), Power supply failures and issues are a big one.

GPUs tend to die faster for gamers, but I haven't had one die on me yet. Sometimes it is excessive GPU sag combined with hundreds of heating cycles. Other times it is memory or GPU failure. But high end GPUs can consume 100s of watts, that is a lot of heat to dissipate.

Interested to see how these new Intel CPUs fair over time, considering that are designed to pull as much as 250W during boost and the off the non-K ones come with terrible Intel stock coolers...

Reactions: Raj toms
It isn't common, but CPUs do fail. it does happen.

I have an FX8320E in my spare parts bin. 100% dead, motherboards detect no CPU, CPU doesn't get hot at all. I also have a Phenom 1045t that posts roughly 50% of the time. My friend has an i7 980x that crashes constantly unless it is overvolted to death.

It is always a possibility, but It is not as common as other failures so I would start my troubleshooting elsewhere.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I should add that most of your CPUs are effectively manufacturing defects marketed direct to consumer.

Intel's last few generations have been things like i3, i5, i7 chips. Within each family is a grade so you get a low end 10400, 10500, 10600K and all the T and F variants. The most successful chips are actually the T class. Fully functional, capable of running with very low input voltages. K series are your leaky chips, they can run fast, but not as efficiently (which is an advantage when overclocking, to some extent(the leakage, not the extra power draw)) F variants (formerly P) without graphics were built with them in mind, but they didn't work so they get disabled.

From what I have read, the 11th gen is a departure. All i5-i9 chips are the same design, just disabled cores, etc. Not sure about i3 and lower.

AMD's chiplet approach lets them take the same design and apply it in many ways. 4 core, 6 core, and 8 core chiplets (all intended to be 8 core chiplets) become quad, hex, and octo cores, or two pairs to make 12 and 16 cores, or more for Threadripper and Epyc. Separate I/O die lets them change some features without changing the CPU core design.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Only CPU I have seen fail did so hilariously. Just started drawing ALL the 12V current it could use. Some sort of internal short.

Fan got really loud for a while, eventually the PSU wiring melted. (Yes, not a great PSU in that regard, OCP, why would you need that?) The computer was needed, so new wires were soldered to the back of the board with a new PSU. Lasted the few weeks needed. CPU still technically works, but will melt any reasonable sized ATX wiring in a day or so.

AMD Athlon T-Bird 1Ghz.