Question Do CPUs have there own serial number?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Intel is sending me a new cpu because I RMAd the one I bought. It says they're sending me another 7640x but it has a different serial number. Does this mean anything? I thought they all had the same serial number with different batch numbers. Whenever I google this nothing really comes up.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
yes they have serial #s, and batch #s - what's more important is if the Stepping is different from what you have - may mean bios needs to be updated etc... but probably not an issue if you're fairly up-to-date
I bought a new motherboard and havent been able to get to bios yet, but I think it should be fine considering the 7640x came out when x299 was launched. I didnt know cpus had stepping, I hope it overclocks better than my last one.

Mr.Spock

Respectable
Dec 8, 2019
you should be fine, the serial # is etched to the lid so it's in their warranty record. recently I guess folks have been delidding and selling bogus spec'd processors on eBay but that's not a concern here - the serial # also shows on the retail box. good luck with the build

Reactions: sodium.in.toilet

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
you should be fine, the serial # is etched to the lid so it's in their warranty record. recently I guess folks have been delidding and selling bogus spec'd processors on eBay but that's not a concern here - the serial # also shows on the retail box. good luck with the build
I got the replacement and the warranty sticker says "Condition: good"

I really thought they were going to give me a new cpu, not some random used one. I'm honestly surprised it even survived shipping, the clamshell thing wasnt even closed and the cpu was just sitting in there sideways...

DSzymborski

Polypheme
I got the replacement and the warranty sticker says "Condition: good"

I really thought they were going to give me a new cpu, not some random used one. I'm honestly surprised it even survived shipping, the clamshell thing wasnt even closed and the cpu was just sitting in there sideways...
I'd be more surprised if they had given you a new CPU. All the Kaby Lake-X CPUs that will ever be made <em>have</em> already been made, so the supply of new ones Intel still has hanging around has likely been dwindling; Kaby Lake-X CPUs were retired in 2018, nearly a year before the consumer Kaby Lake CPUs left production.

Kaby Lake-X CPUs were never popular, so it's not surprising to end up with a refurbished one. GPU makers will quite often send you a more recent GPU, but that's easier to do since going from, say, a GTX 1070 to an RTX 2060 doesn't require a new motherboard, which you can't say for CPUs.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I'd be more surprised if they had given you a new CPU. All the Kaby Lake-X CPUs that will ever be made <em>have</em> already been made, so the supply of new ones Intel still has hanging around has likely been dwindling; Kaby Lake-X CPUs were retired in 2018, nearly a year before the consumer Kaby Lake CPUs left production.

Kaby Lake-X CPUs were never popular, so it's not surprising to end up with a refurbished one. GPU makers will quite often send you a more recent GPU, but that's easier to do since going from, say, a GTX 1070 to an RTX 2060 doesn't require a new motherboard, which you can't say for CPUs.
My thinking was that nobody really likes this chip and anybody going with x299 wouldnt choose it, so I would assume they would have extra ones that didnt sell. I didnt expect to send them my i5 and get an i9 back because they are still making i9s for x299.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS