[SOLVED] do CPU's of the same type have thermal variation?

Bob_129

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Title.
I have two 2600's both at 1.375v
1.2soc

One is under a darkrock 4 the other a kraken x61, x61 has kryonaut grizzly paste, dark rock has the stuff that comes with the cooler.

I used the pea drop method for paste application on both.

The Dark rock keeps it 2600 about 5 degrees cooler.
Both are running Asus real bench.

The kraken setup is on a premium crosshair hero vii motherboard and the dark rock is on a budget vdh b450 V2 mobo.

Kraken is in an nzxt s340 elite. 140mm top exhaust and 120mm rear exhaust.

The superior airflow could be something?
If so im going to go with beefy aircoolers with more case fans from now on.
Both are in a room of a out 27 degrees C.
Dark rock is in a bitfenix prodigy m. 200mm bottom intake and 140mm rear exhaust.

Only real way to test would be to swap CPUs.
Which I may do. But not right after finishing the prodigy m build.
Bastard of a case to work with.

Dark rock CPU fluctuates at 69-70 and x61 is 74-75

Solution
Not only every cpu is different, but so are the conditions... the airflow inside the case, ambient temp, cpu usage, voltage variations, how well the thermal compound was spreaded and how well its filling the microgaps.

if i were to say, cpu wise with everything else remaining exact the same, there would still be some variations, in-die wise thermal efficiency would vary just as some chips can overclock better with less volts, others are just terrible needing more volts and generating more heat. then we have the TIM between the cpu sink and the die, i doubt they're applied exactly the same... so yea... i find the 5C a totally possible scenario
Not only every cpu is different, but so are the conditions... the airflow inside the case, ambient temp, cpu usage, voltage variations, how well the thermal compound was spreaded and how well its filling the microgaps.

if i were to say, cpu wise with everything else remaining exact the same, there would still be some variations, in-die wise thermal efficiency would vary just as some chips can overclock better with less volts, others are just terrible needing more volts and generating more heat. then we have the TIM between the cpu sink and the die, i doubt they're applied exactly the same... so yea... i find the 5C a totally possible scenario

Solution