Question Do different brand but same model GPU's have different sizes so the NVLINK wont fit? RTX 2080 Ti

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
For example, take a close look at the third picture on this Ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293223354653?ul_noapp=true

Both cards in the system are RTX 2080 Ti's but the one on the bottom (The NVLINK slot) is extended about an inch taller the the top card(hard to see unless you really focus). Seller claims that a NVLINK wont work because it doesnt bend.

I was almost about to buy another brand 2080 Ti for NVLINK until I saw this post.

I am currently thinking: different GPU brands might be slightly taller/shorter than my current Gigabyte 2080 Ti Gaming OC. (So, I can't pair it with like MSI/EVGA/Zotac/Etc. because their versions of the 2080 Ti might be slightly taller or shorter than my Gigabyte.

I have been told that you can NVLINK different brands but same model GPUs but after seeing this posting I am starting to doubt that.

Why do you want to go for an NVLINK/SLI in the first place ? Is this setup for Gaming, or some other work ? As long as both the GPUs are of the exact model, regardless of brand, you can connect them via NVlink.

Though, I'm not sure about your current problem. I can't comment whether the taller GPU will work the other Model.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
The main problem I am facing is that a NVLINK wont connect 2-GPUs like a slope like this: /

The two NVLINK slots must be at the same altitude to connect like this: n----n

And different brands of RTX 2080 Ti's might be slightly taller or shorter than the other.